can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

Post by Daan Hooglan » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I can't compile the kernel. Getting sig11 in different places, i'm thinking it
is memory or cache, but generally it occures in the vsprinf module in the
lib-dir. Does anybody recognize this?

Also on the rh site in the supported hardware sheet it is said that xl want
xl.img as the kernel instead of xl.gz. Is this a mistypo, or does the ram image
really contain the kernel i want?

bye

can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

Post by D.Joyce (D.Ce » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Do yourself a BIG favor. . .  get the GCC 2.8.1 compiler and
libs.  Fixed all my probs.

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:12:21 +0200, Daan Hoogland

Post by Alexander Dieman » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I can't compile the kernel. Getting sig11 in different places, i'm thinking it
> is memory or cache, but generally it occures in the vsprinf module in the
> lib-dir. Does anybody recognize this?

> Also on the rh site in the supported hardware sheet it is said that xl want
> xl.img as the kernel instead of xl.gz. Is this a mistypo, or does the ram image
> really contain the kernel i want?

> bye

Hi Dan

I am using an XL 266, too. But had to install the avanti.gz kernel. It
is called an XL machine but an avanti in fact. Don't know why there
seems to be a difference.

enjoy

Alex.

can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

Post by z.. » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Try applying the kernel patches before doing a kernel recompile. You
need the following:
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/Digital/Linux-Alpha/Kernels/alpha-patche...
after applying that patch recompile. It should work fine.
As far as your other question. It is not a typo. It DOES require xl.img

Joseph Saab
Systems Administrator
Epoch Internet

> I can't compile the kernel. Getting sig11 in different places, i'm thinking it
> is memory or cache, but generally it occures in the vsprinf module in the
> lib-dir. Does anybody recognize this?

> Also on the rh site in the supported hardware sheet it is said that xl want
> xl.img as the kernel instead of xl.gz. Is this a mistypo, or does the ram image
> really contain the kernel i want?

> bye

can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

Post by z.. » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

avanti-s is needed if you have an AS200. But as far as the documentation
goes xl works better. So use xl next time :)

Joseph Saab
Systems Administartor
Epoch Internet

> > I can't compile the kernel. Getting sig11 in different places, i'm thinking it
> > is memory or cache, but generally it occures in the vsprinf module in the
> > lib-dir. Does anybody recognize this?

> > Also on the rh site in the supported hardware sheet it is said that xl want
> > xl.img as the kernel instead of xl.gz. Is this a mistypo, or does the ram image
> > really contain the kernel i want?

> > bye

> Hi Dan

> I am using an XL 266, too. But had to install the avanti.gz kernel. It
> is called an XL machine but an avanti in fact. Don't know why there
> seems to be a difference.

> enjoy

> Alex.

can't compile kernel 2.0.34 on xl266 with rh5.1

Post by juhana paavol » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I can't compile the kernel. Getting sig11 in different places, i'm
thinking it
> is memory or cache, but generally it occures in the vsprinf module in the
> lib-dir. Does anybody recognize thi

I had almost same problem in my xl266 ,when I tried to compile something it
just gave me those sig11's.
The solution were found in processor module ,it was broken ,we changed it
and there u go ,now it is working fine

1. Problems compiling kernel 2.0.34 on RH5, HELP!

I'm trying to upgrade my kernel on RH 5.0 system and get the following
error messages when trying to compile a new 2.0.34 kernel

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2
-malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -c -o module.o module.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2
-malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -c -o exit.o exit.c
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
make[2]: *** [exit.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

What's wrong??

-mats-

2. Solaris 9 partitions

3. please help: newly compiled kernel cannot compile (2.0.34 slackware)

4. Hi-Com 15" Multisync Monitor and X

5. Compiling Kernel 2.0.34 to Kernel 2.2.7

6. win2lin Project update !

7. rh5.1 kernel 2.0.34-0.6???

8. smtp server requires login authentication

9. Troubles at runtime with calloc under lesstif-0.82/RH5.0/2.0.34 Kernel]

10. Bug report 34 - Matrox framebuffer drivers don't compile

11. Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

12. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

13. Slackware and 2.0.34 kernel compile errors