RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by William A. Welch II » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hey everybody,

I downloaded RealPlayer 7 for RH 6.2 (which is what I run on my 164LX)
and installed it and the Netscape plugin.  The Netscape plugin doesn't
seem to be working though.  I get this error:

ERROR: dlopen: cannot load /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
Cant load plugin /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Has anyone found a fix?

Thanks,

Bill

p.s. I am running the version of Netscape available at Compaq's Alpha
Linux Power Tools web page.

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Marshall G. Gate » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

So, where did you install the plug-in?  It may be that you need to reset the
shared library lookup information.  I wish I could remember the command.

Marshall

Quote:> Hey everybody,

> I downloaded RealPlayer 7 for RH 6.2 (which is what I run on my 164LX)
> and installed it and the Netscape plugin.  The Netscape plugin doesn't
> seem to be working though.  I get this error:

> ERROR: dlopen: cannot load /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
> Cant load plugin /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

> Is anyone else seeing this?  Has anyone found a fix?

> Thanks,

> Bill

> p.s. I am running the version of Netscape available at Compaq's Alpha
> Linux Power Tools web page.

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by William A. Welch II » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

It's in $HOME/.netscape/plugins/ (as the Error message points out).

Bill

> So, where did you install the plug-in?  It may be that you need to reset the
> shared library lookup information.  I wish I could remember the command.

> Marshall

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Marshall G. Gate » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I realize that is where Netscape is looking for it, but is it there? If so,
then check the /etc/ld.so.conf file and ensure that the path is in that file
and run /sbin/ldconfig to reset the shared library links.

Marshall

> It's in $HOME/.netscape/plugins/ (as the Error message points out).

> Bill

> > So, where did you install the plug-in?  It may be that you need to reset
the
> > shared library lookup information.  I wish I could remember the command.

> > Marshall

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Tony Hammit » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yes, Netscape needs to have the file be there (or a symlink to the
file) but you should be able to skip the ld.so stuff.  dlopen()
doesn't search around anywhere for the file, you have to give it
an exact path.

I'd probably just find the plugin and put a symlink where it's
looking.  If it still doesn't work, I'd expect some kind of library
conflict like we all got with glibc 5/6 migration.

Anyway, hope you get it working.  I'd test it myself but I don't
have any soundcard in either alpha...  Hard to test..

Regards,

Tony

> I realize that is where Netscape is looking for it, but is it there? If so,
> then check the /etc/ld.so.conf file and ensure that the path is in that file
> and run /sbin/ldconfig to reset the shared library links.

> Marshall

> > It's in $HOME/.netscape/plugins/ (as the Error message points out).

> > Bill

> > > So, where did you install the plug-in?  It may be that you need to reset
> the
> > > shared library lookup information.  I wish I could remember the command.

> > > Marshall

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by William A. Welch II » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The plugin is in the correct directory (the RealPlayer installer puts it
there):

total 296
-rw-r--r--    1 wwelch   users        4139 Jul  1 17:15 raclass.zip
-rwxr-xr-x    1 wwelch   users      289216 Jul  1 17:15 rpnp.so

I added this path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig, but I still
get the same
error message:

ERROR: dlopen: cannot load /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
Cant load plugin /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Post by h0l0gRa » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> The plugin is in the correct directory (the RealPlayer installer puts it
> there):

> total 296
> -rw-r--r--    1 wwelch   users        4139 Jul  1 17:15 raclass.zip
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 wwelch   users      289216 Jul  1 17:15 rpnp.so

> I added this path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig, but I still
> get the same
> error message:

> ERROR: dlopen: cannot load /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
> Cant load plugin /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

> Any other thoughts?

I noticed that when I install some libraries under /home ,and dir
starting with dot ,ldconfig doesn't understand it.
Well ,this maby is problem with programs what I have coded (weirdo ,very
odd progs ,even I don't understand them...).

So try putting libraries some else where ,like /usr/local/bin

then update ld.so.conf & run ldconfig
--
My mind is a potato field ...

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Tony Hammit » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Well, the only pugin I have responds this way to the file command:

$ file /usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so
/usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so: COFF format alpha paged dynamically linked not stripped shared library - version 3.11-10

What is your file's type?

Is it possible that that .zip file needs unpacked?  (down to blindly guessing at this point...)

Regards,

Tony

> The plugin is in the correct directory (the RealPlayer installer puts it
> there):

> total 296
> -rw-r--r--    1 wwelch   users        4139 Jul  1 17:15 raclass.zip
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 wwelch   users      289216 Jul  1 17:15 rpnp.so

> I added this path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig, but I still
> get the same
> error message:

> ERROR: dlopen: cannot load /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
> Cant load plugin /home/wwelch/.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

> Any other thoughts?

> Thanks,

> Bill

> > I realize that is where Netscape is looking for it, but is it there? If so,
> > then check the /etc/ld.so.conf file and ensure that the path is in that file
> > and run /sbin/ldconfig to reset the shared library links.

> > Marshall

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by William A. Welch II » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Well, the only pugin I have responds this way to the file command:

> $ file /usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so
> /usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so: COFF format alpha paged dynamically linked not stripped shared library - version 3.11-10

> What is your file's type?

.netscape/plugins/rpnp.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, Alpha
(unofficial), version 1, stripped

Quote:> Is it possible that that .zip file needs unpacked?  (down to blindly guessing at this point...)

That was my initial thought too, but it didn't help.

Has anyone out there had success with this plugin?  Or is it just me?

Thanks,

Bill

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Tony Hammit » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Was the plugin you downloaded the only one available for Alphas?
Remember, the version of netscape we have is really the Tru64
binary with all of the glue code and libraries we need to run
on alphalinux.  Perhaps you need to get the Tru64 version of
the plugin since you are presumably using the Tru64 version
of dlopen(), which probably expects COFF format.

I'm talking out of my ass on this one, but you can try it.

        Tony

> > Well, the only pugin I have responds this way to the file command:

> > $ file /usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so
> > /usr/local/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so: COFF format alpha paged dynamically linked not stripped shared library - version 3.11-10

> > What is your file's type?

> .netscape/plugins/rpnp.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, Alpha
> (unofficial), version 1, stripped

> > Is it possible that that .zip file needs unpacked?  (down to blindly guessing at this point...)

> That was my initial thought too, but it didn't help.

> Has anyone out there had success with this plugin?  Or is it just me?

> Thanks,

> Bill

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Ron Farr » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone out there had success with this plugin?  Or is it just me?

I could not get it to work either. Just for fun I actually tried to
run the plugin and got a segfault, do you get the same thing?

In example:

Segmentation fault

Did you run mimeinstall.sh and pluginstall.sh? I also manually added
the mime type to /etc/mailcap, but still no go.

Has anyone got it to work?

JMHO,

Ron
--

Home:  <http://www.farrer.net/~rbf/>
Alpha Linux Organization: <http://www.alphalinux.org>

Post by Douglas D. Anders » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>>Has anyone out there had success with this plugin?  Or is it just me?

> I could not get it to work either. Just for fun I actually tried to
> run the plugin and got a segfault, do you get the same thing?

> In example:

> Segmentation fault

> Did you run mimeinstall.sh and pluginstall.sh? I also manually added
> the mime type to /etc/mailcap, but still no go.

> Has anyone got it to work?

It works for me, with Netscape 4.72, Kernal 2.2.14, using the rpm
version. I've got a 'vintage' AG430HX (Intel) motherboard with ATI
OPL3SA sound on board,(for  which, incidentally, I have to load the driver
as a module- the kernal has a problem with it.)

Good Luck.

RealPlayer 7 Netscape plugin

Post by Ron Farr » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>It works for me, with Netscape 4.72, Kernal 2.2.14, using the rpm
>version. I've got a 'vintage' AG430HX (Intel) motherboard with ATI
>OPL3SA sound on board,(for  which, incidentally, I have to load the driver
>as a module- the kernal has a problem with it.)

comp.os.linux.alpha is for Alpha + Linux discussions, not x86. I wanted
to know if any ALPHA LINUX users got the recently released RealPlayer to
work?

JMHO,

Ron
--

Post by P.Copelan » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> comp.os.linux.alpha is for Alpha + Linux discussions, not x86. I wanted
> to know if any ALPHA LINUX users got the recently released RealPlayer to
> work?

> JMHO,

I have it running sweetly here on a DS20, just watching the BBC 9 o'clock news
with it

Phil
=--=

Post by Alan P. Kennedy, » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 >> comp.os.linux.alpha is for Alpha + Linux discussions, not x86. I
 >> wanted to know if any ALPHA LINUX users got the recently released
 >> RealPlayer to work?
 >>
 >> JMHO,

 Okay> I have it running sweetly here on a DS20, just watching the BBC
 Okay> 9 o'clock news with it

 Okay> Phil =--=

Okay tell us what you did to get it working please please!

Thanks,

Alan

1. netscape realplayer as plugin

I downloaded and installed the latest realplayer v5.0 to use
standalone and as a plugin to communicator 4.5.  I edited the
RealAudio entry in the applications lists to recognize ra and
ram files.  From all appearances rvplayer should be setup as
a helper app but whenever I go to a site with real media, I
get a message telling me I am missing a real plugin.  Selecting
"plug-in" on the application window is not an option, it is
greyed out.

How does one make rvplayer act as, and be recognized as, a
plug-in for netscape so that websites with real media will
load their stuff without crapping out?  Do I place a symlink
to rvplayer in the netscape plugin directory or something?

rvplayer runs fine standalone.

"If a man hasn't discovered something that
he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
                  --Martin Luther King, Jr

Padraig UiNiall

2. NIC being detected?

3. Suse 6.3 - Netscape - Realplayer G2 plugin

4. Please Help: How can I run a Java Servlet instead of a CGI on a Linux machine?

5. Problems with RealPlayer plugin in Netscape

6. Apache httpd 1.1.1

7. NETSCAPE - RealPlayer G2 Plugin - Suse 6.3

8. 2.88 floppy support?

9. Cant load plugin /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/java_30

10. realplayer g2 as plugin?

11. Realplayer plugin works!

12. succesful Mozilla install of RealPlayer plugin ??

13. Plugin for Realplayer G2!