Question on Digital Unix 4.0 compatibility with 2.0.x kernels

Question on Digital Unix 4.0 compatibility with 2.0.x kernels

Post by Peter Marda » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I know Digital UNIX 4.0 binaries are incompatible with 2.0.x kernels from
reading the FAQ.  (I also tried it out.)

My question is this:  is it more work to hack 2.0.x to support
4.0 binaries, or to install 2.1.x?

2.1.x I know requires enough work that I'd almost class it as an
os-reinstall (which I'd dearly like to avoid).  I don't mind doing
a limited amount of coding to get 2.0.33 to support 4.0 binaries....

Anyone expert enough to assess this?

PeterM

Question on Digital Unix 4.0 compatibility with 2.0.x kernels

Post by Xiaoguang Zha » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This is not true. We have been running statically linked DU4.0 binaries
on 2.0.30 kernels for months now. It works great. If you are talking
about shared libraries, then yes, 2.0.x kernels do not support DU4.0
shared libraries.
Xiaoguang Zhang

Post by Peter Marda » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>This is not true. We have been running statically linked DU4.0 binaries
>on 2.0.30 kernels for months now. It works great. If you are talking
>about shared libraries, then yes, 2.0.x kernels do not support DU4.0
>shared libraries.
>Xiaoguang Zhang

Thanks.  I jumped through the hoops required to get my program to compile
statically, (it didn't just "work"), and the resulting static
DU4.0 binary ran fine on my Linux 2.0.30 box.

Perhaps the FAQ should be updated....  It only describes making netscape run
and doesn't mention that static 4.0 binaries will run.

PeterM

1. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

Hi,

We have a problem in a DEC Unix related to logins.
We can't access that machine except via root logins.
The login process ( I think ) reports an error :
'No directory!' if login in under normal login prompt
or doing 'su - someuser' and reports 'No shell !' if
we do 'su someuser' :(

There's no problem with directories since they all
exist and pwck gives no warnings on that, the same
applies to the shell.

The system was working fine until we had a problem in
a secondary disk and lost sme filesystems. There was
no big problem since we had no data in it at the
time. We have also configured the NFS server on the machine
since the failure. The problem was only detected after
those changes were made in the system so we can't point
the finger on any precise cause.Also, /etc/passwd was edited
directly with vi and someone told us that the problem might
be there. Since that, we have executed
'mkpasswd -v /etc/passwd' after removing ( and also without
doing it ) the passwd.pag and passwd.dir files without any
results, and all editing is now made via vipw :(

The system is in BASE security mode, if that matters ...

This is probably a stupid problem but it's there and we can't
solve it.Does anyone knows a solution ?  We need to put that
machine up and running fast.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

        Jorge Agra

2. Can I pretend to be a virtual www host?

3. Digital Unix 4.0 oracle export prob..

4. USER_HZ & SG problem [timeouts]

5. Development Tools for Dec Alpha/Digital Unix 4.0?

6. How to get 1024x768 16bit on S3 Trio v64+ Card?

7. Best free search engine which will compile on Digital Unix 4.0?

8. keyboard and xemacs

9. remove kernel 2.0 compatibility code from i91uscsi.c

10. looking for priority inheretance for mutex in digital unix ver 4.0

11. Digital Unix 4.0 D passwd

12. Digital Unix (OSF/1) V3.x/4.0 Tripwire Config File, Comments?

13. newbie: sendmail 8.8. and digital unix 4.0.D