Using an Alphastation 250 4/266 as a web server

Using an Alphastation 250 4/266 as a web server

Post by Ian Crook » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I currently have an Alphastation 250 4/266 which I want to use as a web
server, I have successfully loaded Linux 5.1, I was wondering if anyone
could tell me if this machine is fast enough for this application and if
anyone could give me some info on how to use and configure Linux and how to
use and configure Apache, anything would be helpful as I have never really
used any variant of UNIX and as a MCSE I have been brain washed into the
Microsoft way of doing things making Linux seem so hard to use, HELP ME
PLEASE BEFORE MICROSOFT TAKES FULL CONTROL OF ME...........

Any help will be rewarded with promotional recording material,

Regards
Crooksie

P.S. any help no matter how small will be received greatfully......

Using an Alphastation 250 4/266 as a web server

Post by hubba.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

My first question is what sort of traffic volume are you looking at.
Hotmail would not be able to run their server on this machine, but
there are a lot of smaller sites out there that can.  It also depends
on what sort of software you are running.  If it's simply Apache (my
preference for a Linux HTTP server), or if it's Apache with MySQL and
PHP (equivalent to the ASP/MSSQL duo).  In any case, I think people
overestimate their needs in terms of processor speed when it comes to
Web servers.  Within reason, it's probably much more important to have
a.)  SCSI bus and disks, for fast througput
b.)  Good throughput to your network
c.)  A well configured HTTP server
d.)  Good data on your user traffic to base your decisions on.

  If you just want to support your own homepage, or even a few, even
with a database backend, the Alpha should do just fine.  Make sure you
don't have X up unless you absolutely have to though, more free memory
means more cached data.

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:11:44 +0100, "Ian Crooks"

Post by Bill Anderso » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> My first question is what sort of traffic volume are you looking at.
> Hotmail would not be able to run their server on this machine, but
> there are a lot of smaller sites out there that can.  It also depends
> on what sort of software you are running.  If it's simply Apache (my
> preference for a Linux HTTP server), or if it's Apache with MySQL and
> PHP (equivalent to the ASP/MSSQL duo).  In any case, I think people
> overestimate their needs in terms of processor speed when it comes to
> Web servers.  Within reason, it's probably much more important to have
> a.)  SCSI bus and disks, for fast througput
> b.)  Good throughput to your network
> c.)  A well configured HTTP server
> d.)  Good data on your user traffic to base your decisions on.

>   If you just want to support your own homepage, or even a few, even
> with a database backend, the Alpha should do just fine.  Make sure you
> don't have X up unless you absolutely have to though, more free memory
> means more cached data.

Well, I run Apache 1.3.1, PHP3.0, MySQL, etc. with many cgi's and decent
traffic just fine on a 4/233, so I imagine unless you get simply outrageous
traffic, it should do fine, given you follow the reccomendations above