Announcing MpegTV Player 1.0 for Linux on Alpha

Post by Tristan Savatie » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> : Announcing MpegTV Player 1.0 for Linux on Alpha
> : ===============================================
> Hello!
> I just wanted to congratulate you to this release! I just downloaded and
> tested it on my old Jensen and have to say: Well done!
> MpegTV now runs fine and without any errors (as far as I could see). The old
> broken b-frame problem seems to be solved and no new errors occurred. Fine!
[snip]

> PS: And many thanks for this port. I don't know if I was the only one who
>     asked you about it but in case I was, triple thanks ;)

> --

> Student of computer science      http://www.si.unix-ag.org/~nils/
> Unix user group, University of Siegen, Germany

No, you were not the only one. about 30 people have asked,
and already more than 200 users have downloaded the alpha
version.

By the way, we are interested by benchmarks for Alpha. We like to know
the following:

- what alpha system do you use (type, MHz etc).
- display depth (8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit ?) and X server type (XFree86?).
- sequence image size and bitrate
- number of fps achieved when playing ALL frames
  (see Framerate/Sync menu).

Note that we still have a problem with the Xforms file selector.  This
is because the current version of Xforms for Linux-Alpha is
not glibc compatible.  There is little we can do but wait for
a new glibc-compatible Xforms library...

--Tristan

MpegTV:   http://www.mpegtv.com