Java jdbc/odbc & Linux / Alpha

Java jdbc/odbc & Linux / Alpha

Post by Mohan Vaghu » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00



Hi,

I would like information on how to get a java application that uses
jdbc/odbc to interface with Postgres db on a linux machine. Specifically, I
have a java application that uses jdbc/odbc to interface with MS access. I
would like the same app to use the Postgres db on my linux/alpha machine.
How can I configure the postgres, jdbc, and odbc on my linux machine to
enable the java application to access it? Any links, or pointers would be
appreciated.

I have the postgres db working fine on my machine, I am not sure what
components I need to get the ODBC/JDBC working.

Mohan

 
 
 

Java jdbc/odbc & Linux / Alpha

Post by Ulrich.Teich.. » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>Hi,

Hi!

Quote:>I would like information on how to get a java application that uses
>jdbc/odbc to interface with Postgres db on a linux machine.

Then why do you post to comp.os.linux.alpha? A better group would be
comp.lang.java.databases, or comp.databases.postgresql.general/admin.

Quote:>Specifically, I
>have a java application that uses jdbc/odbc to interface with MS access.

The JDBC/ODBC brigde driver for Access, right?

Quote:>I would like the same app to use the Postgres db on my linux/alpha machine.
>How can I configure the postgres, jdbc, and odbc on my linux machine to
>enable the java application to access it? Any links, or pointers would be
>appreciated.

The above USENET groups, or the fine docs to postgres 7.0.2.

Quote:>I have the postgres db working fine on my machine, I am not sure what
>components I need to get the ODBC/JDBC working.

OK, you only need the JDBC-jar file, postgres.jar, to be in your CLASSPATH
on your client machine, to get a connection. Of course, you have to
change the JDBC-URL. Be aware that there is a bug in both JDBC drivers
(1.1.x, 1.2) wrt to selects with BLOBS. I've mailed a patch to the
postgres patch mailing list, but got no response at all.

BTW: This all will be to no avail if you've used non-standard SQL-statments
in your application, which wouldn't surprise me, as Access (aka ?chz
in Germany ;-) is totally non-standard. And in their inifinite
wisdom, the designers of JDBC coose NOT to hide these details...

HTH,
Uli
--

Stormweg 24               |listening to: Paralysed (The Sewergrooves),
24539 Neumuenster, Germany|Cheap E*ment (Stratford Mercenaries)