install problem with redhat 5.2

Post by Stephen L. Scot » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Redhat 5.2 on a new DEC Alpha 500a and ran into some
problems.  Although I followed the Redhat manual instructions on how to
build the load diskettes, set OS start, etc... My machine keeps giving the
following at startup when I select Linux for startup (NT is the other
option)

"Invalid OS selection - The highlighted OS selection is not valid"

anyone know what I should be doing that is not in the Redhat 5.2 startup
manual.

BTW: I tried with Redhat 5.0 with same results.  Also, tried on an Alpha
based clone with the same results.

Note that this is a new machine with a "clean" disk - first time used...

thanks,

stephen.

Post by Matthew Excel » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to install Redhat 5.2 on a new DEC Alpha 500a and ran into some
> problems.  Although I followed the Redhat manual instructions on how to
> build the load diskettes, set OS start, etc... My machine keeps giving the
> following at startup when I select Linux for startup (NT is the other
> option)

> "Invalid OS selection - The highlighted OS selection is not valid"

The trick here is in the OS Selection Setup.  If you are trying to boot
off of a "Rescue" style floppy (One with linload.exe, milo, kernel,
etc.) then:

        1) Make sure the Boot File: line is set for A: and linload.exe
        2) The OS Path line should be set to CD:
                (Actually, anything for the device - it isn't used by linload)
                and \ (backslash only - forward slash will not allow it to find
milo.)
        3) OS Options should be: (This is Debian - see the notes - most
shouldn't change)
                boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 rw ramdisk_size=5120 load_ramdisk=1
prompt_ramdisk=1
                     ^      ^             ^                    ^
                     |      |             |                    --- could differ with
ver. and distrib. . .
                     |      |             --- first floppy - use fd1 for second, etc.
                     |      --- name of the kernel - could be vmlinuz . . .
                     --- first floppy - use fd1 to boot from second, etc.

        AlphaBIOS will reply Warning: Operating System Selection not Valid
                It will list OS Path: CD: (or whatever you used in 2 above) \ not
found
                This is normal - Alpha BIOS just doesn't understand linload/milo

                If it also lists Boot File: A:  linload.exe not found.
                then make sure your rescue disk is in the first floppy drive.
                (It doesn't really matter at this point - just be sure it is there
when you try to boot.)

        Press [Enter] to continue, [F10] to save, and [Enter] again to confirm.
        [Esc],[Esc] should leave the bios utility and present you with your
boot menu -
                be sure the rescue disk is in the first floppy drive and select the
linux boot
                option you created.  linload will run - load milo, and prompt you for
the ramdisk.
        Note: You may see something similar to a reboot (or at least a blanked
screen -
        depending on your video card.) Don't sweat it - it is just a
reinitialization. . .

If this doesn't work, or something seems to act strange, flip-out,
smoke, etc. let me know.

Matthew Excell
Head Engineer
OnLine Web Marketing

> anyone know what I should be doing that is not in the Redhat 5.2 startup
> manual.

> BTW: I tried with Redhat 5.0 with same results.  Also, tried on an Alpha
> based clone with the same results.

> Note that this is a new machine with a "clean" disk - first time used...

> thanks,

> stephen.

1. Help: NFS Install problem with Redhat 5.2

I am trying to install Redhat on a Toshiba T2130CT laptop via a
network.  I am new at all of this, so pardon the questions if they seem
too obvious.

Using the Redhat 5.2 installation floppies I went through the
installation process up until it asks for the

NFS server name:  sprot.tland.net
Red Hat directory: /mnt/cdrom

at which point I entered the locations indicated entries.  The answer I
got was "invalid argument" followed by another dialog saying "can't
mount server"

I am also trying to set up the network for the first time so the problem
might be there.  I have succeeded in setting the net parameters so that
I can ping in either direction between the desktop and laptop (using
tomsrtbt one disk linux) with either IP numbers or hostnames.  What I
haven't been able to do is mount the cdrom on the desktop via the
network or the hard drive on the laptop.  I get the following msgs:

On bill (laptop):
mount sprog:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/local

I get this error:
mount:RPC: Program not registered.

On sprog (desktop):
mount bill:/mnt /mnt/local

I get this error:
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

I have updated the /etc/export files on both machines

What haven't I done??  If I succeed in mounting I presume that will fix
my Redhat installation problem, or is it something else?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

2. kcd 4.0.0 - Directory change utility

3. Excite for Web Servers install problem with Redhat 5.2

4. Filesystem corrupt with DPT PM2122 and SCO OS 5

5. Install problem for RedHat 5.2

6. Loadlin & Sony cdu33 CD Driver

7. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

8. LLC/SNAP Support

9. Redhat 5.2 Boot install problem

10. RedHat 5.2 and Current Slackware Boot/Install Problems

11. Redhat 5.2 on Compaq Deskpro install problem

12. Redhat 5.2 with SCSI install problems....

13. Problems installing Linux (redhat 5.2)