XL300 Workstation: Would this be a good deal?

XL300 Workstation: Would this be a good deal?

Post by Darren McClellan » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have found a company selling new XL300 workstations for < $1000.
Package includes 1gig HD, 32MB ram, Matrox video card and 3 year
warranty. Does this sound like a good buy? It's priced quite a lot less
than other Alpha systems I've seen advertised, is there something I
don't know about these units? Does anybody have any expierence with the
XL300.
Thanks,
Darren McClelland

Post by Jaap Schelleke » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I have found a company selling new XL300 workstations for < $1000.
: Package includes 1gig HD, 32MB ram, Matrox video card and 3 year
: warranty. Does this sound like a good buy? It's priced quite a lot less
: than other Alpha systems I've seen advertised, is there something I
: don't know about these units? Does anybody have any expierence with the
: XL300.

I got one for about $1100,- a couple of months ago. It works fine for me
and performs very well on my numeric code (about 50% fater than a P300 I
tried it on as well). It comes with a solid case (not
very silent). You cannot get srm firmware for the XL so you are stuck to
running Linux or NT, no NetBSD or DEC unix possible.

Cheers -- Jaap

Post by M. Arno » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I have found a company selling new XL300 workstations for < $1000.
: Package includes 1gig HD, 32MB ram, Matrox video card and 3 year
: warranty. Does this sound like a good buy? It's priced quite a lot less
: than other Alpha systems I've seen advertised, is there something I
: don't know about these units? Does anybody have any expierence with the
: XL300.

Yeah, I have one myself. It's a pretty good deal, this type was marketed
a few years ago as the "Windows NT Dream Machine" for being the fastest
NT platform on the planet (if you're into that sort of thing. I run
Linux on mine, of course ;-). The CPU runs at a 'measly' 300MHz but it has
the bigger caches (2x8 primary, 96 secondary and 2MB external), as
opposed to the 21164PC.

Some dealers offer the system 'bare' (i.e. no RAM, video or HD), so you
might consider buying one of those, then adding the peripherals of your
choice (which is what I did).

Marnix.
--

I  Delft University of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering    I
I  "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black      I

1. ## Is this Book/Slackware combo good deal? ##

The Small Computer Book Club has offered as an alternate selection the book,
Linux Configuration and Installation, with Slackware 2.3 CD included for
$29.95.  Is this a good deal for Linux? Is the 2.3 Slackware OK for a
novice to install?

Thanks

John Gossett        Research Engineering Assistant
                    University of Texas:  Applied Research Labs

Standard Disclaimer:   These views may not reflect my employer's views.
      My Disclaimer:   I fully claim responsibility for the above views.
              Quote:   "Get over it!"

2. Zapping files using FIND - please help !!!!

3. Is SSC good to deal with?

4. Installing Netscape on Redhat 4.2

5. Good deals on SUN and IBM Equipment!

6. Korn shell help with remote shell needed!

7. Is this a good deal for a HUB?

8. pb with a socket stuck in IDLE state

9. RE COMMERCIAL: A good deal on 1U server--$439

10. is magitronic 33.6 modem a good deal ??

11. P5-90 Review (Is that a good deal?)

12. Good deal??!!

13. Good deal on a large SCSI drive