Can't find RedHat trees on hard disk

Post by Louis.Pot » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've downloaded the RedHat5.2 tree for alpha from a mirror of ftp.redhat.com

I'm trying to install linux on a PWS500a

Milo boot works fine, I got the install application.

I've put the RedHat tree downloaded on my fat NT partition on /dev/sda1

I've told the installer than I have the distribution on hard disk, and I've
given it /dev/sda1 and /RedHat like device and PATH.

I always get a message "/dev/sda1 doesn't appear to contain a RedHat
installation tree"

I have alpha, base directory and RPMS directory.........:-(((

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot

regards

Louis

Can't find RedHat trees on hard disk

Post by Kevin P. Flemin » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The installer can only load the installation tree from a Linux ext2
partition, not a FAT or NTFS partition.

>I've downloaded the RedHat5.2 tree for alpha from a mirror of
ftp.redhat.com

>I'm trying to install linux on a PWS500a

>Milo boot works fine, I got the install application.

>I've put the RedHat tree downloaded on my fat NT partition on /dev/sda1

>I've told the installer than I have the distribution on hard disk, and I've
>given it /dev/sda1 and /RedHat like device and PATH.

>I always get a message "/dev/sda1 doesn't appear to contain a RedHat
>installation tree"

>I have alpha, base directory and RPMS directory.........:-(((

>Any idea ?

>Thanks a lot

>regards

>Louis

Can't find RedHat trees on hard disk

Post by Ron Flor » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

 The first partition should be small FAT (about 8Mb), just bit enough
for your boot images.  The rest of your disk should contain swap, and
any ext2 partitions you need, such as / .

ron