video & ram

Post by Adam Jink » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

i've got a sx164 with 64megs of ram and a video card that barely shows a
display that i'm currently using as a server. i'd like to add some
memory and a decent (not fancy) video card to and turn it into a
desktop.

my question is what type of memory do i need to buy and who makes an
alpha-compatible video card (i tried with a couple different ati's that
didn't work).  if there's a website with this info then i can go look it
up myself.

tia,
aj

video & ram

Post by Stephen S » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:26:01

Matrox is the best for these alphas in my opinion.  Check out
www.teamexcess.com for them.  Nice prices and nice cards.

Stephen

Quote:>i've got a sx164 with 64megs of ram and a video card that barely shows a
>display that i'm currently using as a server. i'd like to add some
>memory and a decent (not fancy) video card to and turn it into a
>desktop.

>my question is what type of memory do i need to buy and who makes an
>alpha-compatible video card (i tried with a couple different ati's that
>didn't work).  if there's a website with this info then i can go look it
>up myself.

>tia,
>aj

1. RAM upgrade & new video card (Diamond)

Hello all!

I'm giving upgrading my Packard Bell Force 106cdt
serious consideration.

I considered upgrading my RAM to 48 megs, but figured
that upgrading to 32 megs instead would save me
enough money to buy a new video card and mouse.  The
video card I have in mind is the Diamond Stealth 64
with 4 megs of VRAM.  Will 32 megs be enough with a
fairly low-traffic Web server and Xfree86, so that
swapspace is not needed?

Does the Diamond Stealth 64 w 4 megs of vram

20", so even 1024x768 (16 bpp) on the builtin CLGD5434
card is sluggish and large looking.  I tried running
Xfree at 8 bpp at 1280x1024, and the display was nice
but the lack of colors made netscape and mosaic's image
quality poor.  Is it possible to disable the builtin
video board on the PackardBell so that the Stealth
card may be used?

I might buy a Logitech mouse, too.  How are those
in terms of quality?

Thanks in advance!

2. PCI/SCSI Problem

3. two Qs: netscape install & video ram

4. mouse problems. @123

5. ??: Mandrake, XWindows and Trident PCI Video Card Error - Can't Detect Video RAM???

6. How do I acces my Linux shares from Sun Solaris????

7. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

8. fdformat as non-root ?

10. Solaris x86 & ISA & 32 MB RAM?

11. Dell Motherboards && > 64MB ram

13. 没有人用中文吗?