clock problem on 164sx (still)

Post by Ed Richl » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I was hoping that all clock problems would go away
when I upgraded to RedHat 5.2.

Well, they didn't.

Now when I boot Linux, the hardware clock gets reset
about a month in the future, and the system clock is
also wrong the same way.

From the ARC console, the hardware clock is correct
at power-up. The problem seems only to happen after
booting Linux. I have to log in as root, and manually
fix it with date -s, and write the hardware clock
with /sbin/clock -Aw. I've made sure that /etc/sysconfig/clock
has the right stuff in it: (UTC=false, ARC=true), so
something else is wrong.

 One would think that my computer could do what my wristwatch
has been doing correctly for 10 years.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ed

clock problem on 164sx (still)

Post by S├ębastien Brossie » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem. In fact, you mustn't change the clock from linux.
Do it only from ARC console.

Sbastien Brossier

http://www.chez.com/sebbross/

clock problem on 164sx (still)

Post by Helmut Katzgrabe » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I had the same problem: whenever I would boot my clock would be set to
1942... also, it is too fast, about a minute a day.
The solution I opted for is netdate which is part of the rh 5.2
distribution an can be found somewhere in
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/, actually to be precise

http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/alpha/netdate-1.16-2.alph...

netdate gets the time remotely from 3 different timeservers and sets the
system clock accordingly. i put this script in the xinit files with the
following timeservers:

clock.tricity.wsu.edu delphi.cs.ucla.edu clock.llnl.gov

same as in the crontab file so that every morning the time is set. I
hope that this will more or less solve your problem.

cheers, h.

        Physics Department      http://debussy.ucsc.edu/~dummkopf
        Kerr Hall
        Univ. of California     Phone:  (+1) 408-459-4762 OF
        Santa Cruz, CA 95064            (+1) 408-423-3751
        USA                     Fax:    (+1) 408-459-3043

1. Capture stills from JVC Video camera

My video camera has connectors (e.g. USB) to enable a computer to
receive still images from the camcorder. Assuming that somebody,
somewhere, has written appropriate software
what special hardware if any is needed?

Is there in fact a Linux application program to receive video stills
through an USB port?

All replies appreciated

John Culleton

2. samsung 240T ?

3. Sony camera download stills...

4. Question about KMail

5. general kernel compiling problems on 164SX

6. How to install Mesa with widget support?

7. 164sx problems with booting new kernel

8. RedHat 5.1: rlogin: read: Connection reset by peer. error

9. Alpah 164sx boot problems

10. AlphaPC 164SX debian hamm problem

11. RH6.1 problems on 164SX

12. RedHat 6.2 install problems with Alpha 164SX

13. Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock?