Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

Post by Joze » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:16:34



I am not positive, but I have read somewhere that the adapter and the drive
should be the same id, or else scsi commands to the adapter will be bounced
back by the drive because they refer the the wrong address.

Jeremy


Quote:> Went to a computer show yesterday and stumbled across a good deal on an
old
> Qlogic SCSI controller, so thinking of my Alpha 164SX I snagged two of
them at
> $20 each.  I believe what I have here is their old 1040 part, which should
be
> Wide Ultra SCSI at 40mb/s.  (These were sold to me as Adaptec 2940UW
according
> to the vendor.)

> I also bought a 36 Gig SCSI drive at a different vendor, an IBM UltraStar
36XP
> DRHL-36D.  I showed them the adapter I was going to be hooking up to, and
they
> gave me a 68-pin cable, an 80-pin to 68-pin adapter (with a molex plug),
as well
> as an SE/LVD terminator.

> So I've got all this stuff hooked up now, SRM (v5.8-1) is detecting the
SCSI bus
> and the drive is spinning up, which I'm taking to mean that the adapter is
> successfully issueing a spin-up command, but SRM isn't detecting the
drive.
> Being that this is my first real foray into SCSI, I'm hoping that this is
just a
> configuration problem.

> A few other things: When I boot up to SRM, I get a black screen which
lists my
> video card and something else that I forget which I've always gotten
before.
> What I'm not getting is any kind of key combination alert like I would on
an x86
> box to be able to configure the SCSI adapter.  Is this an issue?  Is my
adapter
> trying to use HDV on an LDV drive?

> Also, when the drive spins up, I'm a little concerned that it's making
some ...
> well, strange sounds.  First it'll spin up, but a few seconds after it
reaches
> its full speed, I can hear those not-quite-clicking noises like the drive
is
> still initializing.  What seems strange to me, though, is that I'll hear
the
> drive speed slow down, almost like it's grinding on something or like if
it were
> dropped and missed a beat.  Again, I'm hoping that this is an indication
of a
> bad configuration and not a dud drive.

> Finally, on the other side of the drive from the 80-pin connector, there
is a
> bank of jumpers that can set the SCSI ID number of the drive as well as
some
> other options.  I've tried several things here, but I'm not sure what
effect
> it's having, if any.  One of the jumpers forces SE mode, but that didn't
do
> anything for me.  The other thing is, the 80-to-68 pin converter also has
> jumpers to set the SCSI ID number.  Do I need to set them both to the same
ID or
> should I only be using one or the other to set the ID?  I don't know.
I've
> tried several variations, but I haven't had any luck yet.  Does anyone
even know
> if this drive works with SRM?  From lurking here for awhile I've gotten
the
> impression that, with HDs at least, it's more a matter of having a
compatible
> SCSI adapter than there being any problem with the drives themselves.

> Help!  :)

> Tim

 
 
 

Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

Post by M. Plagman » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:52:23


Hi,
I managed to hook up a 18GB LVD drive to the 1040 but you have to set the
drive to SE and to non-LVD. Otherwise the card isn't driving the drive. Get
the manual for your drive and find the correct jumper setting. Good luck.

Manfred


> Went to a computer show yesterday and stumbled across a good deal on an
> old Qlogic SCSI controller, so thinking of my Alpha 164SX I snagged two of
> them at
> $20 each.  I believe what I have here is their old 1040 part, which should
> be
> Wide Ultra SCSI at 40mb/s.  (These were sold to me as Adaptec 2940UW
> according to the vendor.)

> I also bought a 36 Gig SCSI drive at a different vendor, an IBM UltraStar
> 36XP
> DRHL-36D.  I showed them the adapter I was going to be hooking up to, and
> they gave me a 68-pin cable, an 80-pin to 68-pin adapter (with a molex
> plug), as well as an SE/LVD terminator.

> So I've got all this stuff hooked up now, SRM (v5.8-1) is detecting the
> SCSI bus and the drive is spinning up, which I'm taking to mean that the
> adapter is successfully issueing a spin-up command, but SRM isn't
> detecting the drive. Being that this is my first real foray into SCSI, I'm
> hoping that this is just a configuration problem.

> A few other things: When I boot up to SRM, I get a black screen which
> lists my video card and something else that I forget which I've always
> gotten before. What I'm not getting is any kind of key combination alert
> like I would on an x86
> box to be able to configure the SCSI adapter.  Is this an issue?  Is my
> adapter trying to use HDV on an LDV drive?

> Also, when the drive spins up, I'm a little concerned that it's making
> some ...
> well, strange sounds.  First it'll spin up, but a few seconds after it
> reaches its full speed, I can hear those not-quite-clicking noises like
> the drive is
> still initializing.  What seems strange to me, though, is that I'll hear
> the drive speed slow down, almost like it's grinding on something or like
> if it were
> dropped and missed a beat.  Again, I'm hoping that this is an indication
> of a bad configuration and not a dud drive.

> Finally, on the other side of the drive from the 80-pin connector, there
> is a bank of jumpers that can set the SCSI ID number of the drive as well
> as some
> other options.  I've tried several things here, but I'm not sure what
> effect
> it's having, if any.  One of the jumpers forces SE mode, but that didn't
> do
> anything for me.  The other thing is, the 80-to-68 pin converter also has
> jumpers to set the SCSI ID number.  Do I need to set them both to the same
> ID or
> should I only be using one or the other to set the ID?  I don't know.
> I've
> tried several variations, but I haven't had any luck yet.  Does anyone
> even know
> if this drive works with SRM?  From lurking here for awhile I've gotten
> the impression that, with HDs at least, it's more a matter of having a
> compatible SCSI adapter than there being any problem with the drives
> themselves.

> Help!  :)

> Tim


 
 
 

Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

Post by Joerg Brueh » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:38:08


Hi !


> [...]

> Ultimately I think I'm looking at either a bad 80 to 68 pin adapter that doesn't
> operate in SE mode, or else the hard drive is bad.  Even if the hard drive was
> bad, though, I would think it would at least be detected as being on the SCSI
> chain on bootup.

My office PC contains an Adaptec 294x/295x (LVD wide) SCSI host
adapter. When I tried to connect a SE narrow DAT drive to its
external SCSI socket via a suitable adapter, the adapter would
not scan the SCSI bus any more, let alone boot the machine.

Our only cure was to add another SCSI socket (separate slot)
with a cable to the adapter card's SE narrow pins.

My consequence: Always use suitable "native" ports of the
SCSI host adapter card, no separate cable adapters.
(Sure there are cases where this strictness is not necessary,
but I can not tell them in advance.)

HTH,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

 
 
 

Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

Post by Rob » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:21:21




Quote:> This weekend I had a chance to revisit this and spend some more
> time with it.  I think I made some progress (if you can count
> process of elimination).

> Ultimately I think I'm looking at either a bad 80 to 68 pin
> adapter that doesn't operate in SE mode, or else the hard drive is
> bad.  Even if the hard drive was bad, though, I would think it
> would at least be detected as being on the SCSI chain on bootup.

> Sooo ... anyone have any good sources for SCSI accessories in the
> US?  :)

www.granitedigital.com - expensive, but the best SCSI gear around

cheers,
Rob