Question: does alpha have HALT mode to reduce power consumption ?

Question: does alpha have HALT mode to reduce power consumption ?

Post by Ron Flor » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

hi-

 I'm just curious to learn if DEC/Alpha has a HALT mode to reduce power
consumption the same way an x86 machine does.  Under x86 Linux my cpu is
normally very cool.

ron

1. Kapm-idled doesn't reduce power consumption.

Kapm-idled doesn't cool down my CPU at all. I've been monitoring CPU core
temperature with lm-sensors for my abit kt7a motherboard the temperatures
remain pretty much constant even when kapm-idled is at 98% (ie in single
user mode, nothing running except my shell). I would even go as far as
saying that it actually increases CPU temperatures since mild processing,
(eg running KDE, surfing, listening to mp3s)  in which kapm-idled is
sleeping, consistently produces lower temps compared to idling in single
user mode.

The upsetting thing is that WinME's idle thread on the same dual boot box
manages to reduce the core cpu temp by a whopping 15degrees.  The temps I'm
seeing are like this:

        Linux load (kernel builds, setiathome) - 48C
        Linux idle (single user mode) - 46C
        Linux low load (surfing, mp3 pb) - 45C
        Bios idle (looking at health status) - 45C
        WinME load - 46C
        WinME idle - 30C
        Case temp - 26C

All temps are read off the same via686a chip and everything looks properly
calibrated. Why doesn't kapm-idled appear to reduce power consumption as
it's supposed to?  Is it possibly an APM (linux) vs ACPI (WinME) thing?

--
ls

2. Solaris for Intel?

3. Reducing RAM consumption.

4. App Icon pixmaps from KDE 1.2...

5. power supply: consumption calculation?

6. RH 5.0 Busmouse support not installed?

7. Power Consumption

8. RH 7.1 defalt medium firewall and SAMBA connection reset by peer

9. Minimizing overall power consumption in long compiles?

10. power consumption resources

11. Power consumption of 44P ?

12. F50 power consumption ?

13. Will a Alpha 4000 power supply fit an Alpha 1000