Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

Post by David Denhol » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:00:32

Having been dumped when the Alpha was not a supported platform for Windows
2000, and having (eventually) managed to migrate from AlphaNT4 to Win2k
Intel for a server, I am keen to look at Linux to run on a somewhat old
Digital Alpha XL 266 now that it is free of Windows NT.

Can anyone advise me whether any of the current versions of Linux would run
on this platform, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular flavour
for a particular reason, I would be keen for advice.

Many thanks

David Denholm

Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

Post by kerstin.hoef-em.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:12:00

Hi David,

> Can anyone advise me whether any of the current versions of Linux would run
> on this platform, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular flavour
> for a particular reason, I would be keen for advice.

Have a look at www.alphalinux.org. You will find there a list of supported
hardware.

Regards,

Kerstin

--

Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

Post by alain hach » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:49:44

Hi Dave,

Another option could be TRU64... Enthusiast licence is almost for free... and
brings a number of interresting goodies

Sorry to say thet in a LINUX forum ;-)

Regards

Alain

David Denholm a crit :

Quote:> Having been dumped when the Alpha was not a supported platform for Windows
> 2000, and having (eventually) managed to migrate from AlphaNT4 to Win2k
> Intel for a server, I am keen to look at Linux to run on a somewhat old
> Digital Alpha XL 266 now that it is free of Windows NT.

> Can anyone advise me whether any of the current versions of Linux would run
> on this platform, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular flavour
> for a particular reason, I would be keen for advice.

> Many thanks

> David Denholm

Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

Post by hhfra.. » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:36:01

XL-266 easy, no problem for all distribution mentioned at
http://www.alphalinux.org
For instance in order of  Distributor Alpha-experience, your choice is Red Hat,
SuSe, Debian.

Post by Hartmann Schaff » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:00:22

>Having been dumped when the Alpha was not a supported platform for Windows
>2000, and having (eventually) managed to migrate from AlphaNT4 to Win2k
>Intel for a server, I am keen to look at Linux to run on a somewhat old
>Digital Alpha XL 266 now that it is free of Windows NT.

>Can anyone advise me whether any of the current versions of Linux would run
>on this platform, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular flavour
>for a particular reason, I would be keen for advice.

i am running debian 2.2 with no problems

hs

Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

Post by JJ » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:01:58

Sorry no True64 for the XL,  ARC console only no SRM...   Plenty of good
Linux  dists though as mentioned else where in this thread.   You must use
FAT partitions and milo.

JJ

Quote:> Hi Dave,

> Another option could be TRU64... Enthusiast licence is almost for free...
and
> brings a number of interresting goodies

> Sorry to say thet in a LINUX forum ;-)

> Regards

> Alain

> David Denholm a crit :

> > Having been dumped when the Alpha was not a supported platform for
Windows
> > 2000, and having (eventually) managed to migrate from AlphaNT4 to Win2k
> > Intel for a server, I am keen to look at Linux to run on a somewhat old
> > Digital Alpha XL 266 now that it is free of Windows NT.

> > Can anyone advise me whether any of the current versions of Linux would
run
> > on this platform, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular
flavour
> > for a particular reason, I would be keen for advice.

> > Many thanks

> > David Denholm

1. 1 Linux Box + 1 Win98 Box - Networking Options?

Hi All,

Any advice on this greatly appreciated to help this fledgling newbiew out.

I have one linux (Mandrake 8) which I use for most tasks including
connecting to the net.

I also have a machine that runs windows 98 that is used to run Quickbooks.

I'd like to network the two so that my windows machine can connect to the
linux box for the following functions:

* backing up to a spare partition in my linux box (/backup)
* sharing files (e.g. rtf documents) b/w the two machines
* sharing the printer which is connected to the Win98 box
* connecting to the internet

Samba seems my best option however I can't work out the internet connection
sharing bit.  From what I understand I need to base my network on DHCP to
enable internet connection sharing - but then how can my "hosts" file in
samba make any sense if the IP addresses of my two machines are worked out
dynamically?

I have in the recent past got samba to work on a fixed IP address basis
(linux box = 192.168.0.1, windows = 192.168.0.2) but for some reason I had
to enter the Mandrake Control Centre (INetwork & Internet: Connection) each
time and reset the IP address for my linux box before I could fire samba up
using swat- very time consuming.  Also I hadn't worked out yet how to see
my windows shares from my linux box - other than pinging which showed that
the network was fine.

I wasn't sure what to do so scrapped samba, did a little reading to try and
understand the basics - which is why I'm here asking what may be a really
silly Q

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

2. Thanks...I think

3. Is xauth available for Alpha & VMS boxes?

4. Linux distributions on CD for sparc?

5. Networking Win98 box & Linux box (help)

6. USB bluk read very very slow !!!

7. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

8. v4l question

9. linux & alpha & old mitsumi