PC164 and Adaptec 2940UW

Post by Dyne » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:16:32

Hi!

I was thinking of installing a SCSI HD in the alpha I just get.
I found an Adaptec 2940UW but it seems the PC164 BIOS doesn't
support the card.

If I type "show dev" I can't see the SCSI HD in the list.

Anyone got one working on a PC164?
Anyone has maybe an idea of what I should do to make it work?

Thanks a lot !

PC164 and Adaptec 2940UW

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:46:32

> I was thinking of installing a SCSI HD in the alpha I just get.
> I found an Adaptec 2940UW but it seems the PC164 BIOS doesn't
> support the card.

> If I type "show dev" I can't see the SCSI HD in the list.

> Anyone got one working on a PC164?
> Anyone has maybe an idea of what I should do to make it work?

Your SRM doesn't support the card (very few do).  If you can boot from
a different device, you can still use the card in Linux.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

PC164 and Adaptec 2940UW

Post by Dyne » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:01:05

> Your SRM doesn't support the card (very few do).  If you can boot from
> a different device, you can still use the card in Linux.

Hum thought so. Thanks for confirming.

I am looking for mylex one or a card with a symbios chipset.
Kinda hard to find though (switzerland).

Maybe I'll boot off a small IDE HD.

Cya

PC164 and Adaptec 2940UW

Post by Jafir Elkur » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:26:59

Don't get too new on the symbios though.  I have a PC164 and a PC164LX, and
my 895 card will only work in the LX machine.  The 875 card works fine in
both though.

> > Your SRM doesn't support the card (very few do).  If you can boot from
> > a different device, you can still use the card in Linux.

> Hum thought so. Thanks for confirming.

> I am looking for mylex one or a card with a symbios chipset.
> Kinda hard to find though (switzerland).

> Maybe I'll boot off a small IDE HD.

> Cya

1. problem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW ProproProblem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro

Hi!

Mandrake 6 - Venus Installation ...

My system is PII 400, 256 RAM, 7.6 GB UDMA33 HDD (hda1 = 5.8GB /, hda2 =

1 GB /home, hda3 = 126MB Swap), Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 12X/4X CD-R,
Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro SCSI Controller, 3C905 10/100TX Netcard, Creative

PCI 64 Soundcard, Asuscom ISDN-Card ...

I'm having a slight problem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro host
adapter.
The boot disk (from Mandrake 6) detects the adapter and then the two
drives no problem and installs everything just fine ...

when the system reboots and probes for SCSI adapters, it tries to load
the aic7xxx module with the following result:

scsi : 0 hosts
/lib/aic7xxx.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I've tried both the module and kernel with aic7xxx with the same
effect....
I have read SCSI-Howto and SCSI Programming HOWTO wich could not solve
my problem ...

Is there some commands I have to pass to the kernel on boot like that
linear setting it offers in installation (which I didn't set)? This is
the first
Linux installation on an SCSI system I'm making so I'm somewhat in the
dark.

Markusi!

[...]

2. Sound problems with kernel 2.4.0

3. Alpha PC164, Milo and Adaptec AHA 2940U2W

4. More than one lex/yacc parsers in one application

5. Adaptec 2940UW works *but* ...

6. 8088 terminals

7. Install problem 2.4 X86 w/Adaptec 2940UW

8. Linus on diskless machine (TFTP boot)

9. Adaptec 2940UW

10. Adaptec 2940UW and Win95/DOS partition

11. Matrox Millenia + Adaptec 2940UW

12. STD9000 Tape & Adaptec 2940UW & Solaris x86

13. Artecon/Adaptec AHA-2940UW/OF Drivers for Solaris 7/8?