UDB Multia 2.5in Drives

Post by Danny Che » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I finally got a Multia!!!

 I noticed that there is an internal 2.5 in drive slot on the inside which
appears like it could hold a Laptop style drive.  I asked someone and they
said that there is an IDE port inside, my question is where is the IDE port,
there are two connectors, one on the RISER card, and one on the board next
to where the floppy plugs in.  Also what type of cable do I need to hook a
2.5in laptop drive into this port?
I have an old 120 MB drive that would make a great swapdrive and place to
store milo for booting purposes.
Thanks a lot.
--
Danny Chen
Linux/Windows Programmer

UDB Multia 2.5in Drives

Post by Andy Isaacs » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I finally got a Multia!!!

> I noticed that there is an internal 2.5 in drive slot on the inside which
>appears like it could hold a Laptop style drive.  I asked someone and they
>said that there is an IDE port inside, my question is where is the IDE port,
>there are two connectors, one on the RISER card, and one on the board next
>to where the floppy plugs in.  Also what type of cable do I need to hook a
>2.5in laptop drive into this port?
>I have an old 120 MB drive that would make a great swapdrive and place to
>store milo for booting purposes.
>Thanks a lot.

The riser card has a SCSI port on it.  The port on the motherboard is
an IDE port.  Running IDE drives in a multia for anything but booting
is probably a bad idea, as it's plain 'ol IDE, not EIDE or UDMA (as
far as I know.)  Therefore, I/O to an IDE device likes to take about
80-90% of your CPU.

Check out
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/computers/udb.html
for lots of info on what's what in your UDB.

-andy

UDB Multia 2.5in Drives

Post by Ken Kirchne » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I finally got a Multia!!!

>  I noticed that there is an internal 2.5 in drive slot on the inside which
> appears like it could hold a Laptop style drive.  I asked someone and they
> said that there is an IDE port inside, my question is where is the IDE port,
> there are two connectors, one on the RISER card, and one on the board next
> to where the floppy plugs in.  Also what type of cable do I need to hook a
> 2.5in laptop drive into this port?
> I have an old 120 MB drive that would make a great swapdrive and place to
> store milo for booting purposes.
> Thanks a lot.
> --
> Danny Chen
> Linux/Windows Programmer

Make sure you have the latest firmware revision or your Multia will not boot
while the IDE drive is connected.  The header next to the floppy drive header is
in fact the 40 pin IDE connector.  I'm not sure what to call it exactly, a
micro-40 pin header?  Anyway, if your IDE drive doesnt work with the standard 40
pin cable, you will need to get one that has a power connector attached.  Where
do you get these, you ask?  Try here:

DALCO Electronics
www.dalco.com

2.5" Drive ribbon cable - P/N 50960  - $4.85

I'm not sure where to get one like the above with the power connector.
Hopefully your drive wont need it.  Mine didnt.

-Ken

1. Sources for multia (UDB) floppy drive ??

I just got a barebones UDB and now I'm scrounging for parts to make it go.
Memory was easy, (yeah I made sure it was parity.) and now I'm hunting for a
floppy.  Are there other sources besides Starship?  $39 U.S. seems a bit
excessive.  Would a laptop floppy fit?

Thanks,
Bob

2. help me: lilo & framebuffer, tv-capture-card

3. New drive for Multia/UDB?

4. .AVI player?

5. FS: DEC UDB (Multia 233)

6. openssl compile on tru64 v5.1

7. Thinking about buying a UDB (Multia)

8. GCC newbie

9. Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

10. FS: Multia/UDB

11. Help with kicking off RH5.1 install on UDB/Multia

12. Need help with XF86config for Intel Multia (DEC UDB)