Compiling on Redhat 6.1 for Alpha

Post by Dave Thier » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am having problems compilings programs on my Alpha.  I just did a
fresh installation of Redhat 6.1 and everthing seemed to go just
fine(did a full install).  I downloaded M14 of Mozilla and when I ran
the configure script I get the following error:

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

I wasn't sure if that was a problem with Mozilla or not, so I tried
compiling other programs with the same result.  Does anyone have any
ideas what is causing this?  and how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks!
Dave Thiery

Compiling on Redhat 6.1 for Alpha

Post by Tony Hammit » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Perhaps you don't have the development packages installed.  When I
issue the following, here's what I get.

# rpm -qa | grep devel
libtermcap-devel-2.0.8-15
faces-devel-1.6.1-16
gd-devel-1.3-5
gdbm-devel-1.7.3-19
glib-devel-1.2.6-2
glibc-devel-2.1.2-17
gnome-games-devel-1.0.2-11
gtk+-devel-1.2.3-1
gpm-devel-1.17.5-3
imlib-devel-1.9.5-5
libpng-devel-1.0.3-4
libgr-devel-2.0.13-17
libjpeg-devel-6b-9
libtiff-devel-3.4-6
libungif-devel-4.1.0-2
newt-devel-0.40-9
readline-devel-2.2.1-5
audiofile-devel-0.1.6-5
slang-devel-1.2.2-4
rpm-devel-3.0.2-6.0
esound-devel-0.2.12-5
gnome-core-devel-1.0.7-2
ORBit-devel-0.4.3-3
zlib-devel-1.1.3-5
control-center-devel-1.0.5-22
XFree86-devel-3.3.5-1.6.0
gnome-libs-devel-1.0.10-2
bind-devel-8.2.2_P3-1
ncurses-devel-4.2-25

This is on my RH6.1 alpha, I can compile with no problems.

I wouldn't think you could be having problems because of the
lack of 'ld', I don't think it's optional.  But if you somehow
had a running system without 'ld', it wouldn't compile either...

But seriously, if you don't have glibc-devel installed, you
won't be able to do any development.  That's my best guess.
If you want a full rpm listing, email me.

Regards,

Tony Hammitt

> I am having problems compilings programs on my Alpha.  I just did a
> fresh installation of Redhat 6.1 and everthing seemed to go just
> fine(did a full install).  I downloaded M14 of Mozilla and when I ran
> the configure script I get the following error:

> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

> I wasn't sure if that was a problem with Mozilla or not, so I tried
> compiling other programs with the same result.  Does anyone have any
> ideas what is causing this?  and how would I go about fixing it?

> Thanks!
> Dave Thiery

1. timed on ALPHA RedHat 6.1

I have installed a RedHat 6.1 on a ALPHA 500a PWS
and I try to synchronize the date with an intel box running Linux
When I try to set up timed with
timed -t
I got the wrong date from the server.
After some debugging of timed, I found that the message from the
server was troncated (i.e the server name was incorrect in the
structure std : i.e. "-univ-lyon1.fr" instead of "mecapar.univ-lyon1.fr")
Does timed work on ALPHA (i.e. with a 64bits system) and is it compatible
with Linux 32bits ?
Any help world be appreciated; -)

        Marc

Marc BUFFAT, Prof. Universite Claude Bernard LYON I
tel: (33) 4/72/18/61/61 (LMFA) ou (33) 4/72/43/10/05 (UCBL)
fax: (33) 4/78/64/71/45

2. how long until the 1.4.0 kernel

3. Netscape for Alpha/RedHat 6.1

4. PPP problem. PPP connects constantly, not

5. Redhat 6.1 on Alpha XL 266

6. Spea Mercury P64V configuration?

7. Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

8. XF86Config-4 configuration on a Compaq Armada 1130T

9. length error installing RedHat 6.1 Alpha

10. Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

11. RedHat 6.1 troubles on an Alpha XL 266

12. Redhat 6.1 for Alpha?? Where?

13. Can't compile Netatalk with Redhat 6.1