distributed.net on the life of your processor

distributed.net on the life of your processor

Post by Scott Burn » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The distributed.net client, as well as other distributed computing

processing.  This means that the processor is constantly under a 100%
load.  Wouldn't this significantly reduce the life of the processor?

    Scott4000

distributed.net on the life of your processor

Post by Vivek Venugopala » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:06:44 GMT, Scott Burns

>The distributed.net client, as well as other distributed computing

>processing.  This means that the processor is constantly under a 100%
>load.  Wouldn't this significantly reduce the life of the processor?

>    Scott4000

Processing time is a sunk cost.  You bought it already.  If you dont
use it, it is wasted.
Cheers,
Vivek Venugopalan
vivek(at)mcs(dot)net

That was done to prevent spammers.
Please remove the garbage in my <reply to> address before
replying back to me.

Post by Charles E Taylor » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> This means that the processor is constantly under a 100%
>> load.  Wouldn't this significantly reduce the life of the processor?
> No.

What if it's a Multia? :)

(Ahh, Multia-fried burgers ... Mmmm...)

Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

Post by Greg Linda » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> The distributed.net client, as well as other distributed computing

> processing.  This means that the processor is constantly under a 100%
> load.  Wouldn't this significantly reduce the life of the processor?

No.

-- g

distributed.net on the life of your processor

Post by Greg Linda » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > No.

> What if it's a Multia? :)

Good point. Then again, if multias are now free, the cost of running
your CPU until it dies is zero...

-- g

Post by Eberhard Bur » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > The distributed.net client, as well as other distributed computing

> > processing.  This means that the processor is constantly under a 100%
> > load.  Wouldn't this significantly reduce the life of the processor?
> No.

At least on the Intel, you have to consider the additional heat
produced by the processor, when not being in idle state. This might
reduce the lifetime from ~300 to ~70 years, but who cares? The only
time I've seen processors die was when the fan died and the processor
got overheated.
This leaves the question: do Alphas have a hlt instruction and if so,
is it used in Linux' idle loop?

kind Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows

distributed.net on the life of your processor

Post by Charles E. Taylor » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> This leaves the question: do Alphas have a hlt instruction and if so,
> is it used in Linux' idle loop?

As a point of reference, even when it's not really doing anything, the
Multia's CPU can be used as a space heater.  My AS 200 4/233 also
seems a bit warm, but it's rarely idle.  I'm not certain about
other Alphas.

--

http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu
"We got the MRxL, and you got none!"

Post by Eberhard Bur » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > This leaves the question: do Alphas have a hlt instruction and if so,
> > is it used in Linux' idle loop?
> As a point of reference, even when it's not really doing anything, the
> Multia's CPU can be used as a space heater.  My AS 200 4/233 also
> seems a bit warm, but it's rarely idle.  I'm not certain about
> other Alphas.

I'm noticing major heat production of my SX164 too. Since I haven't
seen a config option in the kernel config to use hlt when idle I'm
guessing that the Alpha doesn't have one. This is sad, because often
enough, my system is idling because it's only user fails to feed it
interesting tasks :-). Having a reduced power consumption would not
only do the environment a favour but also allow for slower fan speeds
and reduced noise.

kind Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows
Never accept an invitation from a stranger unless he gives you candy.
                -- Linda Festa