Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?

Post by Ultim » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:27:29

Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?

Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
(My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

Post by Janne Johansso » Fri, 11 May 2001 16:41:36

> Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
> My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?
> Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
> (My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

The FAQ seems to have an example of a large-disk installation.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

This just might help. Otherwise, provide more information on your
problems.

Do keep in mind that "weird things", like booting from a partition
on the far end of the 8G IDE-disk limit is a feature your BIOS
need to have to be able to load OpenBSD at all. If your BIOS can't
do that, you will need to have it closer to the start of the disk.

--
-"Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the straps."

Post by Ultim » Sat, 12 May 2001 01:41:33

>> Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
>> My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?
>> Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
>> (My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

>The FAQ seems to have an example of a large-disk installation.

>http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>This just might help. Otherwise, provide more information on your
>problems.

>Do keep in mind that "weird things", like booting from a partition
>on the far end of the 8G IDE-disk limit is a feature your BIOS
>need to have to be able to load OpenBSD at all. If your BIOS can't
>do that, you will need to have it closer to the start of the disk.

Um, linux worked fine at the end of my HD...

And i have a 20 GB HD, not a 8GB HD...

I am going to try to force the values of the clyinder sizes with the fdisk
command:
fdisk -c 2498 -h 255 -s 63 wd0
 and the Install.i386 file said that OpenBSD only supported sector sizes of
512 bytes.  My sector size is 512 bytes, so hopefully, this will work.

My hardrive is a Quantium Fireball LM20.5GB HD, if you are wondering.

Post by Julio Uehar » Sun, 13 May 2001 14:15:36

> Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
> My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?
> Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
> (My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

Doing a dmesg on my OpenBSD it gives the following,
.
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 8297MB, 16387 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 16992864
.
but my installation notes indicates that the harddisk extends from
cylinder 1 to 1023. This seems to be the result of setting the BIOS
to LBA. FreeBSD Booteasy is the boot manager and has no problem in booting
FreeBSD, Slackware and OpenBSD, no Winxx:-).

Hope this helps,

-- Julio

Post by Ultim » Sun, 13 May 2001 14:37:34

>> Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
>> My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?

>> Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
>> (My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

>Doing a dmesg on my OpenBSD it gives the following,
>.
>wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 8297MB, 16387 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 16992864
>.
>but my installation notes indicates that the harddisk extends from
>cylinder 1 to 1023. This seems to be the result of setting the BIOS
>to LBA. FreeBSD Booteasy is the boot manager and has no problem in booting
>FreeBSD, Slackware and OpenBSD, no Winxx:-).

>Hope this helps,

>-- Julio

Helps Quite a bit...
Now I know exactly what to do, i just sure hope that Disklabel will work...
(Or do i have to make 4 FreeBSD bookdisks for this to work?)
Thank you!

Post by Janne Johansso » Wed, 16 May 2001 17:02:13

> >> Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?
> >> My hardrives cylinder size is about 2498?
> >> Any suggestions on how i could get this to work in fdisk?
> >> (My Disk Geometery is: 2498/255/63)

> >The FAQ seems to have an example of a large-disk installation.

> >http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

> >This just might help. Otherwise, provide more information on your
> >problems.

> >Do keep in mind that "weird things", like booting from a partition
> >on the far end of the 8G IDE-disk limit is a feature your BIOS
> >need to have to be able to load OpenBSD at all. If your BIOS can't
> >do that, you will need to have it closer to the start of the disk.

> Um, linux worked fine at the end of my HD...
> And i have a 20 GB HD, not a 8GB HD...

I didn't say you had a smaller drive, I said "booting from the far end
of the 8G IDE-disk limit". There is a common problem in x86-hardware
and/or BIOSes that it doesn't like booting from stuff beyond 8G on IDE
disks. Now, if you have a 20G drive and doesn't want to allocate the
whole drive to OpenBSD, chances are high that you'll place OpenBSD at
the end, and have problems with your BIOS not being able to get
the kernel from beyond 8G.

On the other hand, if you have your root partition within 8G, then
your BIOS will be able to boot the kernel, and as soon as the kernel
is in place, you can use large drives as much as you like.

Same goes for Linux ofcourse. As soon as the linux kernel is in place
it can use all of the disk.

--
-"Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the straps."

1. Cylinders above 1024?????

MN> My system has no problems with 14?? tracks. I just got a warning dur
MN> install, but the system works. I just failed to install lilo in mbr,
MN> a boot from floppy is no problem (I left some dos on hd).

Just as an aside, I have a hard disk of cyl 2100, hds 16, sect 63 that I
couldn't get linux to recognize so I installed it on my smaller 340 meg
drive (which linux recognizes).

I too used a boot floppy but I don't like it. I found a program called
"loadlin". It allows me to not only boot linux from dos (I even have a
selection from my dos 6 multi-configuration bootup file, although you
can boot linux from straight dos command line as well) but I'm also able
to send my harddrive parameters to the linux kernal on boot so now it
can see the formerly invisable drive as well.

Before I got the new drive I used lilo, I had a few nightmares with my
dos diskfix programs though, then I got Windows NT and the same
nightmares (but much worse) occured with its boot management
system. "Loadlin" doesn't have those problems, no modification of the
boot sector whatsoever. I'm going to have to E-Mail its creator a letter
of thanks and congradulations though. Excellent piece of software.

Michael Wellman E-Mail address:

 * RM 1.3 00552 * When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.

2. New: Can't compile 2.5.66 w/i810fb support

3. Cylinders above 1024

4. XF86Config entries for WinBook XP laptop (dual-scan)?

5. Raw mode disk access above cylinder 1024

6. 3c509 (eth1 fail) & RT8139 (eth0 working)

7. Slackware: UMSDOS on Logical drive above 1024 cylinders?

8. Audioplay

9. Can I easily change (cylinder,head,sector) sizes on FAT 32 (LBA) to avoid 1024 prob?

10. DOS FAT unknown beyond 1024 cylinders

11. SCSI support over 1024 cylinders

12. extension 2 support >1024 cylinders ?