'w' & 'who' doesnt display the right thing!

'w' & 'who' doesnt display the right thing!

Post by Jens Binnewie » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:55:14

Hi Folks,

I got a very _strange_ Problem with the Output of 'w' and 'who'!
Normally if i open a Terminal under X, its will be shown in the
Output of these Programs... same under 'sshd' normal logins..
FAILURE!

Their DOESNT display me currently logged in users.. only 'local'
on my console.

I tried to recompile 'w', 'who' and 'login' ... but no changes.

Any Ideas??

OpenBSD 3.3

Thx, Jens

'w' & 'who' doesnt display the right thing!

Post by Wictor » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:54:32

On 28 Jun 2003 06:55:14 GMT

> Hi Folks,

> I got a very _strange_ Problem with the Output of 'w' and 'who'!
> Normally if i open a Terminal under X, its will be shown in the
> Output of these Programs... same under 'sshd' normal logins..
> FAILURE!

> Their DOESNT display me currently logged in users.. only 'local'
> on my console.

> I tried to recompile 'w', 'who' and 'login' ... but no changes.

> Any Ideas??

> OpenBSD 3.3

Have you checked that everything is alright with /var/run/utmp ??
Does finger work as should ??
The problem may apear beacouse utmp is slow updating on your system,
on a system of mine it sometimes take a few seconds before I apear when
I do a who or w.

- wictory

Post by Jens Binnewie » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:13:12

> Have you checked that everything is alright with /var/run/utmp ??

I think so..

-rw-rw-r--  1 root  utmp  1500 Jun 28 19:05 utmp

Quote:> Does finger work as should ??

Yes it works as well.

Im _very_ confused!

It wont show me other logins as the local ones...

Jens

1. 'info' displays hyphens in man pages as '^i' instead of '-'

When I execute the info command for topics found in man
pages (e.g. "info diald-examples") info fires up and
displays the *man-page* information. But, it displays all
hyphens ('-') for words that have been broken at the end of
a line as '^i's. This is true in text mode at the console
and under X using rxvt or xterm.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening and if
there is a fix? I am running Debian 2.0.

---- Ken

2. !!! DDE->TCP/IP, Real Time Data driver for DDE apps. to UNIX hosts via TCP/IP

3. FTP: logging things other than 'get' and 'put'

4. Looking for Linux RDBMS

5. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

6. Process swapper

7. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

8. network card

9. 'top' doesnt display CPU usage correctly

10. 'screen -x' problem '... on another display'

11. My 'alias' doesnt' work in X windows ??

12. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

13. cvsup doesn't like tags 'ports-all' & 'doc-all'