packet shaping / bandwidth throttling

Post by Lozzm » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:34:39

Heyas,

I'm running OpenBSD 3.1 with PF obviously.
I have a server behind the OBSD firewall that is constantly downloading.
However, when it begins to download, it tends to take all available
bandwidth. Is there a way to restrict the maximum size a host can use of the
bandwidth, or some way to shape the traffic?
ie. Of my 256k ADSL connection, I set the downloading server to use only 75%
of the available traffic, thereby leaving other PCs on the network a bit of
bandwidth to browse and do other things?

Thanks,

Lozzmo

packet shaping / bandwidth throttling

Post by Peter Str?mber » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 23:05:08

Quote:> Heyas,

> I'm running OpenBSD 3.1 with PF obviously.
> I have a server behind the OBSD firewall that is constantly
> downloading. However, when it begins to download, it tends to take all
> available bandwidth. Is there a way to restrict the maximum size a
> host can use of the bandwidth, or some way to shape the traffic?

ALTQ, see altq.conf(5) and /usr/share/altq
(and also <http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html>)

--
Peter Str?mberg
ISCCIV02

packet shaping / bandwidth throttling

Post by Stephen Marle » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:22:32

Quote:> Heyas,

> I'm running OpenBSD 3.1 with PF obviously.
> I have a server behind the OBSD firewall that is constantly
> downloading.
> However, when it begins to download, it tends to take all available
> bandwidth. Is there a way to restrict the maximum size a host
> can use of the
> bandwidth, or some way to shape the traffic?
> ie. Of my 256k ADSL connection, I set the downloading server
> to use only 75%
> of the available traffic, thereby leaving other PCs on the
> network a bit of
> bandwidth to browse and do other things?

altq

1. bandwidth throttling/shaping

I've been tinkering with this today with not alot of success.

I have a SDSL link that my users are eating up listening to a LOCAL
radio station
via internet broadcasting .... I am not allowed to kill these users or
whip
them till they are bloody for this stupid waste of resources.

I also am not allowed to purchase stereos for the offices of these
brainchildren.

I was going to just block the IP altogether, but I think a better
punishment
is to throttle their usage to about 14K.

I looked at rshaper but it doesn't seem to want to compile with my SMP
kernel,
I modified the version.h to force version-smp.h to be included but then
it
complains about unresolved symbols.

I also looked at the cbq_init script and had no luck with that either,
we are running a Red Hat 6.2 system with the 2.2.16-3SMP kernel update.

I am a bit cornfused why I cannot compile the rshaper module, it seems
thats what
I need.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

2. Unix98 pty

3. Traffic shaping / bandwidth throttling with Linux

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 5116158177

5. traffic shaping / bandwidth throttle

6. LINUXSTEP, GNUSTEP, G

7. Help needed with packet filtering / bandwidth shaping

8. GCC upgrade...

9. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

10. Answer: - Traffic Control, Bandwidth Throttling, Qos READ THIS!!

11. bandwidth throttling

12. How do I throttle ethernet bandwidth ?

13. Help: Apache Bandwidth throttle