2.6 & CDRom Woes

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by Paul Frank Covell » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00



I have a Creative (Soundblaster) 48X CD-Rom drive as my slave on the 2nd IDE
interface.  Under 2.5 this was no problem but under 2.6, after the kernel
boots off the cd, it will not recognize the drive.

I already erased 2.5 off the hard drive and I was trying to install 2.6 from
scratch.

What can I do or type at the boot prompt to make 2.6 see the drive?

On a related note, 2.6 sees a device called sd0 - 2.5 never saw that device
before and I think 2.6 belives the sd0 device is a hard drive but the cd
light does blink when it tried to talk to it...

under 2.5 the cd was /dev/acd0.

Thanks for any help!

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by David Andreas Alderu » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00


sd0 is the first device in the (UW)SCSI diskchain,
if you don't have any SCSI I guess you've found a bug.


> I have a Creative (Soundblaster) 48X CD-Rom drive as my slave on the 2nd
IDE
> interface.  Under 2.5 this was no problem but under 2.6, after the kernel
> boots off the cd, it will not recognize the drive.

> I already erased 2.5 off the hard drive and I was trying to install 2.6
from
> scratch.

> What can I do or type at the boot prompt to make 2.6 see the drive?

> On a related note, 2.6 sees a device called sd0 - 2.5 never saw that
device
> before and I think 2.6 belives the sd0 device is a hard drive but the cd
> light does blink when it tried to talk to it...

> under 2.5 the cd was /dev/acd0.

> Thanks for any help!


 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by Paul Frank Covell » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00


Oh well...

I don't have SCSI in this unit... just UDMA EIDE - 3 6.2G hd's and the
cdrom.

Assuming this is a bonified bug, now what?

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by James Grav » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>Oh well...

>I don't have SCSI in this unit... just UDMA EIDE - 3 6.2G hd's and the
>cdrom.

>Assuming this is a bonified bug, now what?

I ran into a similar problem while installing OBSD 2.6 on my old 486
which had an old IDE CD-ROM drive.  The installer either wouldn't find
the CD-ROM at all, or tried to recognize it as a SCSI device.  Neither
boot floppy seemed to help the situation.  I know the drive was good,
jumpered correctly (slave on the primary bus) and it worked fine under
Linux.  For yucks, I tried moving it to the other bus, and also as a
master and a slave, but to no avail.

After installing 2.6 and the kernel sources the hard way (installed
Linux, created a DOS parition, copied tarballs to that), I patched the
kernel and recompiled.  Now my IDE CD-ROM works fine, as device
/dev/cd0c.

I haven't tried 2.6 with my other systems yet, so I don't know if the
problem affects many CD-ROMs.

Good luck,

James Graves
--
_______________________________________________________________________________
http://www.xnet.com/~ansible                       Rapture.  Be Pure. - Blondie

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by Bruno Rohé » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00




> >Oh well...

> >I don't have SCSI in this unit... just UDMA EIDE - 3 6.2G hd's and the
> >cdrom.

> >Assuming this is a bonified bug, now what?

> I ran into a similar problem while installing OBSD 2.6 on my old 486
> which had an old IDE CD-ROM drive.  The installer either wouldn't find
> the CD-ROM at all, or tried to recognize it as a SCSI device.  Neither

It should recognize it as a SCSI device, OpenBSD 2.6 integrate the
scsi-emulation from NetBSD, giving many advantages, like the ability
to run Audio CD ripping software that should work only with SCSI drives.
 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by James Grav » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00



>It should recognize it as a SCSI device, OpenBSD 2.6 integrate the
>scsi-emulation from NetBSD, giving many advantages, like the ability
>to run Audio CD ripping software that should work only with SCSI drives.

Cool.  I was about to take out my IDE CD-RW drive from my 2.5 box, but I
guess I'll just upgrade to 2.6 instead.  Gonna need a free afternoon for
that.

James
--
_______________________________________________________________________________
http://www.xnet.com/~ansible                       Rapture.  Be Pure. - Blondie

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by James Moor » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00


OK, folks - I am thoroughly confused. Thanks to James Graves' response
to my thread "2.6 Install Problem" (below) I've finally realized that
my problem is with the cd-rom drive, but the solution escapes me.

The solution, as I understand it, is to "install 2.6, and then patch
the kernel - the patched kernel will solve the cd-rom drive problem".
The obvious catch-22 is that if I can't install 2.6 in the first
place, I can't patch it.

Installing over a network is not an option, and I get nauseous
thinking about copying tarballs to DOS partitions. And I don't want to
make a career out of an OS installation. Seems to my simple mind that
the easiest thing would be to get patched binaries from the OpenBSD
website, but all I've been able to find is source.

If someone could clue me in, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
James Moore

James Moore wrote in "2.6 Install Problem" thread:

Quote:>I'm trying to install 2.6 on an older Pentium box that currently has
>Linux 6.1 on it. I'm installing from a boot diskette that I created
>iaw the instructions. The problem seems to be with the hard drive; the
>following messages are displayed:

>"wdc_atapi_intr_drq: Unexpectedly in the command phase. Please report
>this"

>"wdc_atapi_start: not ready, st = 58"
>... above msg, ad nauseum

>The hard drive is a fairly new 8 GB Maxtor unit that works fine under
>Linux. I tried diddling with the BIOS settings to clear the above
>errors w/ no luck.

James Graves' response:

Quote:>See the other thread on 2.6 and CD-ROM woes.  The CD-ROM will probably
>work after you install the 2.6 patches... but you have to install 2.6
>first.  I was finally able to do so by copying the installation tarballs
>onto a DOS partition.  Installing over a network is a possibility too.

>Sounds like a good question for the FAQ, yes?

>James Graves
>--
>_______________________________________________________________________________
>http://www.xnet.com/~ansible                       Rapture.  Be Pure. - Blondie

*****************************************************************************


>>It should recognize it as a SCSI device, OpenBSD 2.6 integrate the
>>scsi-emulation from NetBSD, giving many advantages, like the ability
>>to run Audio CD ripping software that should work only with SCSI drives.

>Cool.  I was about to take out my IDE CD-RW drive from my 2.5 box, but I
>guess I'll just upgrade to 2.6 instead.  Gonna need a free afternoon for
>that.

>James

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by David Andreas Alderu » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00



> OK, folks - I am thoroughly confused. Thanks to James Graves' response
> to my thread "2.6 Install Problem" (below) I've finally realized that
> my problem is with the cd-rom drive, but the solution escapes me.

> The solution, as I understand it, is to "install 2.6, and then patch
> the kernel - the patched kernel will solve the cd-rom drive problem".
> The obvious catch-22 is that if I can't install 2.6 in the first
> place, I can't patch it.

> Installing over a network is not an option, and I get nauseous
> thinking about copying tarballs to DOS partitions. And I don't want to
> make a career out of an OS installation. Seems to my simple mind that
> the easiest thing would be to get patched binaries from the OpenBSD
> website, but all I've been able to find is source.

> If someone could clue me in, I would really appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> James Moore

Much to my suprise only sslUSA25.tar.gz has been updated on the FTP, even
though driver improvements and security fixes have been made available.
I guess the best thing for you would be to ask someone(James Graves?) to
compile a kernel that includes the updates for you.
What really would make things easy would be a new floppy26.fs with the
improved kernel.
 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by James Grav » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>Much to my suprise only sslUSA25.tar.gz has been updated on the FTP, even
>though driver improvements and security fixes have been made available.
>I guess the best thing for you would be to ask someone(James Graves?) to
>compile a kernel that includes the updates for you.
>What really would make things easy would be a new floppy26.fs with the
>improved kernel.

I'd love to help, but...

Compiling a new 2.6 kernel on an already running system is easy.
Creating a boot floppy with a new kernel appears to be non-trivial.
Definitely a job for the maintainers.  (I suppose this is the time to
look into how OBSD's bug tracking system works.)

At any rate, though it may be an unpleasant solution, copying the files
of a DOS partition seemed to work well for me.  It's really not that
bad, and it only has to be done once.  As long as you've got some other
functioning OS on the system, you'll be OK.

Good luck,

James Graves
--
_______________________________________________________________________________
http://www.xnet.com/~ansible                       Rapture.  Be Pure. - Blondie

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by John Hin » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00



says...


> >Much to my suprise only sslUSA25.tar.gz has been updated on the FTP, even
> >though driver improvements and security fixes have been made available.
> >I guess the best thing for you would be to ask someone(James Graves?) to
> >compile a kernel that includes the updates for you.
> >What really would make things easy would be a new floppy26.fs with the
> >improved kernel.

> I'd love to help, but...

> Compiling a new 2.6 kernel on an already running system is easy.
> Creating a boot floppy with a new kernel appears to be non-trivial.
> Definitely a job for the maintainers.  (I suppose this is the time to
> look into how OBSD's bug tracking system works.)

I hope it gets done, because it is a show stopper for the average person.
 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by James Moor » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00


Do the maintainers ever read this list?

Should I send my request for a new floppy26.fs directly to Theo de
Raadt?

Maybe the easiest solution for me is a hardware upgrade... is there a
published list of hardware compatible with ver 2.6?

I guess the more I think about this, the more incredible it seems...
the fixes that improved OpenBSD's "hardware compatibility quotient"
were apparently released just before the 2.6 cd's were mailed out. I
would have thought the "maintainers" would have made replacement
binaries available as their first order of business. But, I'm new to
OpenBSD... is my thinking clouded on this???

Thanks to All,
James Moore



>>What really would make things easy would be a new floppy26.fs with the
>>improved kernel.

>I'd love to help, but...

>Compiling a new 2.6 kernel on an already running system is easy.
>Creating a boot floppy with a new kernel appears to be non-trivial.
>Definitely a job for the maintainers.  (I suppose this is the time to
>look into how OBSD's bug tracking system works.)

 
 
 

2.6 & CDRom Woes

Post by pixel fair » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00



> Do the maintainers ever read this list?

> Should I send my request for a new floppy26.fs directly to Theo de
> Raadt?

sendbug

Quote:> Maybe the easiest solution for me is a hardware upgrade... is there a
> published list of hardware compatible with ver 2.6?

or doing a network install if you have access to a local ftp/nfs server
or a
highspeed line. that worked flawlessly for me.

Quote:> I guess the more I think about this, the more incredible it seems...
> the fixes that improved OpenBSD's "hardware compatibility quotient"
> were apparently released just before the 2.6 cd's were mailed out. I
> would have thought the "maintainers" would have made replacement
> binaries available as their first order of business. But, I'm new to
> OpenBSD... is my thinking clouded on this???

they did when the problem with rsaref was fixed...
 
 
 

1. Solaris 2.6 (intel) installation woes (CDROM read error?)

Hello,

Im trying to install Solaris 2.6 on a Pentium 166 (not MMX):

1.7 GB HD (Windows 95 - Fat 16)
700 MB HD (Solaris 2.6)
S3 Trio+ Video Card
Panasonic 587 24X CD-ROM
Sound Blaster 16 PNP

When I tried to install the full version (over 500MB), I got the
following error (over and over) on the installation console:


          Error for command 'read sector' Error level: fatal
          Requested Block 1363783, Error Block: 1363783
          Sense Key: uncorrectable data error
          Vendor 'Gen-ATA' error code: 0x7"

I then tried to install the smallest of the 5 options (around 80MB) and
it installed flawlessly. The question is: is this a problem with the
CD-ROM? And if so, is there a way to find out what part(s) of the OS are
on the defective part of the CD, to install as much of it as posible
(and maybe even obtain the corrupted file(s) via Internet)?

A related question (too late, unfortunately): what CD-Copying programs
can I use to make a backup CD of my Solaris disk? I dont know if the
usual Windows 95 software (Easy CD Creator and such) can handle the Rock
Ridge format.

Please e-mail me a copy of your reply.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex Olazabal

2. Help - Installation FREECAM CDROM

3. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

4. ATI AIW 7500 TV out resolution

5. 2.5.1 -> 2.6 & DiskSuite [Was: Solaris 2.6 & Solstice DiskSuite 4.0]

6. SU forcefully deleting/closing sockets?

7. 2.6 & DHCP woes

8. Using multiple IP addresses in a pc

9. 2.6 & CD ROM Woes - Part II

10. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

11. rc.cdrom & module woes

12. solaris 2.6 && dbx panic

13. Solaris 2.6 & gcc & gated