panic openbsd 2.8 sparc: root on sd0p

Post by Kristoff Bonn » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:26:43

Greetings,

I've just installed openbsd 2.8 on a sparc SS2.

After the installation and setting the correct enviroment-parameters
on the boot-prompt; the system boots from disk.

But, I do get something strange.
After checking the different hardware (fdc being the last), there is a
line 'root on sd0p' (????) and then I get a 'panic'.

I guess this is the root of the boot-file-system; but that is on sd0a
(first partition on first disk; scsi-ID 1).

So; how does the boot-kernel determine the 'root-filesystem' and how can
I change this?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

panic openbsd 2.8 sparc: root on sd0p

Post by Kristoff Bonn » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:41:39

Greetings,

Follow up:
I've changed the boot parameters.

at the end).

Now, I get 'root is rd0a' (which is OK); but I still get the 'panic'.

The exact message I have is

--- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---
root is rd0a
trap type 0x2: pc=0xf81cb904 npc=0xe1b282bc psr=118010c3<EF,S,PS>
panic: illegal instruction
Stopped at _De*+0x4: jmpl [%o7 + 0x8], %g0
--- cut here --- cut here --- cut here ---

End then I am in 'dbx'.

Anybody any idea?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Quote:> Greetings,
> I've just installed openbsd 2.8 on a sparc SS2.
> After the installation and setting the correct enviroment-parameters
> on the boot-prompt; the system boots from disk.
> But, I do get something strange.
> After checking the different hardware (fdc being the last), there is a
> line 'root on sd0p' (????) and then I get a 'panic'.
> I guess this is the root of the boot-file-system; but that is on sd0a
> (first partition on first disk; scsi-ID 1).
> So; how does the boot-kernel determine the 'root-filesystem' and how can
> I change this?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

1. Fresh install of OpenBSD 2.8 panics on boot

Hi!

I was running an OpenBSD 2.8 system and thought it would be a good idea to
upgrade. So I ordered the OpenBSD 2.8 CD set, blasted the old install and
installed OpenBSD on this system. Now, when I try to boot from harddisk,
the kernel panics during it's initialization:

<cite>

extent_alloc_region: extent 'PCI I/O port space' (0x0 - 0xffff)
extent_allow_region: start 0xff400000, end 0xff40000f
panic: extent_alloc_region: region lies outside extent
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x4:  leave

</cite>

and sits at the kernel debugger. Telling it to ''continue'' just results
in the kernel telling me that the system has halted.

Booting the install kernel from floppy however works fine. So my current
workaround is to boot from the install floppy with ''boot -a'' and then
specify the real root device (sd0a) at the kernel prompt. Ugly and it
won't work from remote :-(

About the system: Pentium 133, 48 MB RAM, Adaptec AHA2940, 2 GB SCSI-HDD,
SCSI-CDROM, Tulip-based SMC-Ethernetcard (100 MBit, but only ran with 10 MBit
with OpenBSD 2.5), graphicboard is an ELSA Winner2000AVI.

Any hints?

Regards,
        Alex.

 looks like work."  -- Thomas A. Edison

2. Apache 3rd-Party Technical Support

3. OpenBSD 2.8 on a SPARC IPX

4. Instant Basic for Java -- VB compatible Java 4GL

5. Netscape on OpenBSD 2.8 / SPARC

6. ro rw

7. syslogd on OpenBSD 2.8/SPARC

8. cannot compile with -lXt -lX11; xearth it is

9. ex0 hangs OpenBSD 2.8 as well as OpenBSD 2.7 (pretty long)

10. OpenBSD 2.8 questions

11. PGPNet VPN and OpenBSD 2.7/2.8

12. NFS mount question (OpenBSD 2.8).

13. GRUB && OpenBSD 2.8