chpass will not exit

Post by google_em.. » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:59:38

First off, I am using OpenBSD with the generic kernel.  I tried
running the chpass command as root in the sh shell.  It will not exit
(after about 30 min) and will not respond to interrupts (^C, ^Z). I
would like to kill it, but due to stupidity (I have low memory and
needed every kb), I removed extra ttys, and can not log in elsewhere.
I tried connecting to different ports (HTTP, SSH, etc) and they are
open, but do not repsond.  I also tried hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del (I
haven't changed any settings regarding this, so I don't know if it
will usually restart OpenBSD or not), and have tried just about
everything possible.  Is chpass freezing a know problem?  And, is
there any advice on killing the already running chpass other than
pulling the plug? Any extra Ctrl+ combos I don't know about?

Thanks in advance.

chpass will not exit

Post by pi.. » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:14:56

i think your looking for passwd or chsh. anyway i tried chpass as a user
in 3.1 and 3.2 and worked fine.

> First off, I am using OpenBSD with the generic kernel.  I tried
> running the chpass command as root in the sh shell.  It will not exit
> (after about 30 min) and will not respond to interrupts (^C, ^Z). I
> would like to kill it, but due to stupidity (I have low memory and
> needed every kb), I removed extra ttys, and can not log in elsewhere.
> I tried connecting to different ports (HTTP, SSH, etc) and they are
> open, but do not repsond.  I also tried hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del (I
> haven't changed any settings regarding this, so I don't know if it
> will usually restart OpenBSD or not), and have tried just about
> everything possible.  Is chpass freezing a know problem?  And, is
> there any advice on killing the already running chpass other than
> pulling the plug? Any extra Ctrl+ combos I don't know about?

> Thanks in advance.

1. makefile: exit 0 does not exit!

I have a simple if-then-else statement in a makefile.  It calls a
script.  If the script return 0 then download something and goes to
the next target, otherwise it quit the program.  But obviously "exit
0" does not work.  It goes to the else statement then keeps going to
target2.  I tried "exit 1" it works but it displays the entire target
as an error message which I don't like.  Anyone can help?

target1:
    if $(UPDATES_DEDECT) ;\
    then \
        # ftp some files ;\
    else \
        echo No download for today. ;\
        exit 0 ;\
    fi

target2: target1

ewong

2. unmirroring question (AIX 4.3.2)

3. chpass for Solaris?

4. How to reclaim disk partitions from other OS?

5. Strange Severe Issue: chpass -s with non-existent shell wipes root pwd &....

6. unusual firewall activity.

7. chpass problem (2.1.0-RELEASE)

8. Help SMB cannot determine local host name

9. a script to call chpass, make the change, then continue

10. passwd, chsh, chpass, chfn, chsh problem

11. chpass locked me out of my computer

12. help newbie with chpass

13. chpass.c