openbsd 3.3 router keeps panic'ing after about two hours

openbsd 3.3 router keeps panic'ing after about two hours

Post by dog » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:57:05

openbsd 3.3 on celeron 466, 192 meg ram, 2 3com3c905c network cards -
xl0 & xl1.  pf rules are simply pass in all/pass out all.  routing for
about 100 dialup connections and 50+ dsl connections.  xl0 is plugged
into cisco 3640 via crossover cable and xl1 is plugged into 3com 10/100
switch.

any ideas what could be wrong?

Post by Richard Haakm » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:16:35

> openbsd 3.3 on celeron 466, 192 meg ram, 2 3com3c905c network cards -
> xl0 & xl1.  pf rules are simply pass in all/pass out all.  routing for
> about 100 dialup connections and 50+ dsl connections.  xl0 is plugged
> into cisco 3640 via crossover cable and xl1 is plugged into 3com 10/100
> switch.

> any ideas what could be wrong?

No.  But experience is that the network card with the most
reliable drivers is the Intel Etherexpress Pro 100.  Try
a pair of those.

Also see FAQ chapter 11 and increase the NMBCLUSTERS value.

RH.

1. OpenBSD 3.3 router is too slow

I am running OpenBSD 3.3 on a Soekris NET4501, a 486-based mini-PC with 3
NICs.  I have two of the NIC's configured together as a bridge, and the
third
NIC is configured as a router with one of the bridge NICs.  The other bridge
NIC has no IP at all.  PF rules are being applied on two of the NICs.
I am experiencing very slow network transfer speeds when data has to go
across the router between my local 192.168 net to the public DMZ net.  A
file copied from one network to the other goes at roughly 10 Mb/s instead of
100.  All the NICs on the Soekris box and on all the PCs are 100 Mb/s, and
they are set to use that speed.  All the ethernet cables are Cat 5e, except
for the one connecting the router/firewall to the DSL modem (that one
doesn't need a fast cable since the max speed of DSL is only 1.5 Mb/s).
I can't figure out why it is so slow.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Samba for AIX

3. OpenBSD 3.3: gd/GD.pm can't find libz.so.2.0

4. Different resolutions

5. Keeping track of clients you're sendto()'ing

6. Which Regular Expressions routines to use?

7. Help ftp'ing and telnet'ing

8. Disk Labels

9. delay telnet'ing and ftp'ing to System V SVR4

10. XFree 3.3 on OpenBSD 3.0

11. upgrading openbsd 3.3

12. Problems with ftp-proxy, nat and OpenBSD 3.2/3.3

13. OpenBSD 3.3 - wrong PPPoE user/pass