OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by Wynand van Dy » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 06:00:47

Hi,

I have a few questions about OpenBSD 2.8 to those in the list that have
bothered
downloading and testing it.

1) Has more of the existing drivers been converted into LKMs?
    I like to have a very modular and modifiable OS which I dont need to
recompile everytime
    I add some hardware.

2) Has any SMP code been added to the kernel?

Thanks

--
Wynand van Dyk
==============

OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:21:56

Quote:> I have a few questions about OpenBSD 2.8 to those in the list that have
> bothered downloading and testing it.

> 1) Has more of the existing drivers been converted into LKMs?

No.

Quote:> 2) Has any SMP code been added to the kernel?

No.

--

OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by Wynand van Dy » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:03:06

Quote:> No.

Thanks for the rather terse answers, however I was hoping someone could
explain to me why it seems that OpenBSD and other BSDs in general take
such a firm standpoint against LKMs

Is it because of lack of developers?, lack of interest?, are LKMs in some
way
fundamentally incompatible with the way OpenBSD has been secured?

I know about LKM cracks and such, but personally I think its a great idea to
not have to rebuild your kernel for every new device and not having to use
the
rather big (3MB) generic kernel.

I did ask this question before, in this list and got blown of with a "..if
you use
the generic kernel you wont have to rebuild for every device...".

Thanks

Wynand van Dyk

OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by jose » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 04:23:34

> Thanks for the rather terse answers, however I was hoping someone could
> explain to me why it seems that OpenBSD and other BSDs in general take
> such a firm standpoint against LKMs

there is support for loadable modules. if you don't like it, don't use
OpenBSD, or code your device drives as modules.

OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by mips » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I know about LKM cracks and such, but personally I think its a great idea to
> not have to rebuild your kernel for every new device and not having to use
> the
> rather big (3MB) generic kernel.

> I did ask this question before, in this list and got blown of with a "..if
> you use
> the generic kernel you wont have to rebuild for every device...".

Read the faq about 'config -e' to custom kernel

mips

--

Enlever le 'dev' et 'null' de l'adresse email pour pouvoir me repondre.
Remove 'dev' et 'null' from email address to reply.

OpenBSD 2.8 questions

Post by Artur Grabowsk » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 20:54:13

Quote:> > No.

> Thanks for the rather terse answers, however I was hoping someone could
> explain to me why it seems that OpenBSD and other BSDs in general take
> such a firm standpoint against LKMs

> Is it because of lack of developers?, lack of interest?, are LKMs in some
> way fundamentally incompatible with the way OpenBSD has been secured?

The developers are not interested. It's not like you loose much when you run
GENERIC.

In Real Life you don't fiddle with your machines every day adding and removing
hardware, moving disks, etc. This is too expensive (the fiddling time is
expensive and the hardware breaks easier). So it's not considered to be
expensive to rebuild the kernel every time you change the hardware
configuration.

LKMs give compatibility problems, stability problems, optimization problems,
security problems and are generally not necessary when you use your system
in production.

Quote:> I did ask this question before, in this list and got blown of with a "..if
> you use the generic kernel you wont have to rebuild for every device...".

The answer is still the same. Use GENERIC when you fiddle (most developers
run GENERIC) or use your own customized kernel in production. Or, put down
some time and implement a good LKM framework.

//art