Weird boot error : boot loader doesn't like harddisk

Weird boot error : boot loader doesn't like harddisk

Post by Alexander Schreib » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

I installed OpenBSD last night and am now encountering a rather strange
behaviour of the bootloader. If I load the boot loader from harddisk then
OpenBSD will crash [1] during kernel init - if I load the boot loader from
floppy disk and the kernel from harddisk (booting wd0a:/bsd) the kernel
will boot happily. The disk in question is a 6 GB IDE-disk (sorry for this,
but right now I don't have a suitable SCSI-disk at hand). Another datapoint :
NetBSD shows pretty much the same behaviour.

[1] crash as in : drop to the kernel de*

Regards,
       Alex.

 If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have  | Ceterum censeo Parva Mollia
 privacy. (Philip Zimmerman, author of PGP)      | esse delendam.

Weird boot error : boot loader doesn't like harddisk

Post by Scott D. Well » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Try osbs... it's a different bootloader that comes on the 2.4/2.5 CD's.  While
I've never expereinced your problem, I've used it in a few cases where the BIOS
wouldn't run the bootloader properly (older Pentium AMI bios's).

Scott Wells
Shadow Systems

> Hi !

> I installed OpenBSD last night and am now encountering a rather strange
> behaviour of the bootloader. If I load the boot loader from harddisk then
> OpenBSD will crash [1] during kernel init - if I load the boot loader from
> floppy disk and the kernel from harddisk (booting wd0a:/bsd) the kernel
> will boot happily. The disk in question is a 6 GB IDE-disk (sorry for this,
> but right now I don't have a suitable SCSI-disk at hand). Another datapoint :
> NetBSD shows pretty much the same behaviour.

> [1] crash as in : drop to the kernel de*

> Regards,
>        Alex.
> --

>  If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have  | Ceterum censeo Parva Mollia
>  privacy. (Philip Zimmerman, author of PGP)      | esse delendam.

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. XF86 defaulting to 320x200

3. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

4. VERY LONG: How To Make BSDI Rich Beyond Measure

5. Using NT's boot loader to boot linux?

6. epox 8kta3+ and sound AC97

7. Booting Win2000 with FreeBSD's boot loader

8. Netmask Change

9. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

10. `harddisk I/O error' when I boot using kernel 1.1.42

11. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX

12. Lilo boot problem: doesn't boot dos (invalid media type)

13. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX