USR Internal modem (2nd serial port) not responding

USR Internal modem (2nd serial port) not responding

Post by Chris J/ » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

Hiya,

I've recently installed OpenBSD 2.3, but I've run into a problem setting
the modem up - it won't respond. It is detected at boot as pccom1, along
with the first serial port, pccom0. The IRQ and ports are correct (IRQ 3,
port 2f8), however when I try:
        $ cat /dev/tty01 &
        $ echo 'AT' > /dev/tty01
then the 'echo' just sits there indefinately and never returns. The modem
is okay, as under Linux I can do the same test without a problem.

(I think that is the device - I'm checking this through from memory - should
have really written the device name down...the device *is* the second serial
port, as when I messed the command up (ie, sent to the first serial port),
the mouse stopped working :) If I try tty02 then I get 'device not
configured').

If anyone could shed any light on this, it'd be appreciated. Modem is a
USR 33.6 Sportster internal. The second serial port in my machine has
been disabled in the BIOS. Machine is Intel P200MMX.

Thanks in advance,

Chris...

--
O--------------------------------------------------O---  Chris Johnson ---O
 \  And the devil in a black dress watches over     \                     \

   \         -- Temple of Love, The Sisters of Mercy  \                     \

1. Serial Port/Internal Modem on Boot Up failure - Help No Modem!

I've a Boca Internal Modem which up till last friday worked under both
Windows 95 and Linux (2.0.29)
Atfer moving the motherborad to a new case at the weekend and
installing a new soundcard (sound blaster 32) the modem only now works
under windows95. At one point during rebuilding a boot failed and the
Bios defaults were loaded.
I've disabled COMM2 in the bios, to try an avoid a clash but tty00only
is found during boot up.

Help someone please.

Andy

2. "could not find valid ramdisk image starting a 0"

3. GVC Internal Modem -- Not Responding??

4. CL-GD5428; BIOS "memory hole"; ?????

5. USR 56K internal V/F Internal PnP ISA Bus Modem...

6. Best Linux CD package

7. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

8. TeX for Linux

9. USR 56K internal modem not returning OK

10. USR internal 56K ( not a win modem ) Warning !

11. Modem Port not responding?

12. Serial port conflicting with internal modem

13. Serial port problems (PnP & internal modem)