Upgrading to XF4

Post by Gustaf Erikso » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 04:01:08

I have a Dell Latitude laptop running OpenBSD 2.9 stable with no
problems. I installed OpenBSD from the 2.8 CD, and installed X from
that release. Also no problems, runs fine.

Now I'm thinking of installing XF4. I've gotten the XF4 source tree,
and when I left work this afternoon the machine was compiling merrily
away. Assuming all gous well, are there any issues that need to be
addressed before installing XF4?

I've Googled around, but haven't found any OpenBSD-specific info. And
the XFree86.org site seems well-documented, but I haven't found
anything there either.

TIA,

-g.

--
Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]

Upgrading to XF4

Post by Harry Pehkone » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:11:13

<snip>

Quote:> Now I'm thinking of installing XF4. I've gotten the XF4 source tree,
> and when I left work this afternoon the machine was compiling merrily
> away. Assuming all gous well, are there any issues that need to be
> addressed before installing XF4?

Gustaf, try typing XFree86 -showconfig.  Here's what I get:

        $ XFree86 -showconfig

-->  XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window System
        Release Date: 16 March 2001
                If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
                newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
                reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
        Operating System: OpenBSD 2.9 i386

Harry.

Upgrading to XF4

Post by Gustaf Erikso » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 18:30:14

> <snip>

> > Now I'm thinking of installing XF4. I've gotten the XF4 source tree,
> > and when I left work this afternoon the machine was compiling merrily
> > away. Assuming all gous well, are there any issues that need to be
> > addressed before installing XF4?

> Gustaf, try typing XFree86 -showconfig.  Here's what I get:

>    $ XFree86 -showconfig

> -->     XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window System
>    (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6400)
>    Release Date: 16 March 2001
>            If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>            newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>            reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
>    Operating System: OpenBSD 2.9 i386

> Harry.

Ok, I first tried to run the program XFree86 -- no such name. There
was a manpage, however, and after reading that I tried

    /root:# XF86_Mono -showconfig

    XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
    Release Date: January 8 2000
            If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
            than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
            problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
    Operating System: OpenBSD 2.9

So, I've got 3.3.6.

If I look in the release dir which was created during build, I see
standard tarballs. So I'll try to install them that way.

/g.

--
Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]

1. Best Upgrade for XF4.0? G400?

Folks,

I wanted a few different folks' opinions on this, so its an open
discussion...

I have recently upgraded my Linux box to Slackware 7.0 and XFree86 4.0
My first thoughts about XFree86 4.0... Fabulous! Fantastic! Excellent!
Prior to running XFree86 4.0 with this card, I had to use the XF86_SVGA
server which until now, I never realized how bad this was. The mga
driver in XFree86 4.0 is far superiour in terms of definition, color
depth, not to mention not robbing my color map blind!

My video card is an 8MB Matrox G200 running with a K6-2 (350MHz soon to
be a 550MHz) on an FIC PA-2013 motherboard and my only complaint so far
is that, in order to view discussion groups, I must use my Konqueror
browser (kfm - still a little buggy in KDE 1.1.2) file manager to browse
discussion groups because the colored fonts are so badly de-pixelled (or
blurred) with Netscape, it makes it virtually impossible to read them. I
suspect this is just a limitation of the amount of video memory, so I
was contemplating just upgrading to the SH G400 with 32MB SGRAM. I
actually ordered one of these cards from a company called MicroSource,
but learned it was SDRAM and not SGRAM (which pissed me off!) so I
returned it.

If anyone has tried the 32MB SGRAM G400 or (G400 MAX) and are extremely
happy about the results in XFree86 4.0 or has another recommendation
(e.g. an ATI card), please post me a response.

TIA,
wwwireless

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. 3com WuOL 10/100 nic support??

3. Anyone able to install xf4.0.1 on lombard?

4. phpnuke and openbsd 3.3

5. XF4.0 sometimes destroys the console on leaving it

6. ftp gives bad directory components

7. TVout: using XF4.2.0, mgadrivers and powerdesk

8. Samba printing via a parallel tape backup?

9. blaster banshee + tdfx + XF4.1.0 trouble

10. XF4.0.2 + G400 + Debian(woody) + DRI?

11. What's with RH7.1 mixing XF4.0 with 3.3.6 servers?

12. XF4.0.1/NV-0.9-5 & damn resolutions

13. Help with XF4.2, monitor goes blank (Radeon 7500 OEM)