Real minimum install size for OpenBSD

Post by Cedr » Fri, 25 May 2001 03:38:39

Hello all,

I have an 486 with a HD of 127 Mo. I want only to use as a firewall
and router, so i will only install minimum packages. Will I have
enough space to install OpenBSD and have some space to spare for logs
? For info there will be only one machine connected to this
firewall/router.

Thanks in advance,

Post by Wine Developmen » Fri, 25 May 2001 03:06:18

> Hello all,

> I have an 486 with a HD of 127 Mo. I want only to use as a firewall
> and router, so i will only install minimum packages. Will I have
> enough space to install OpenBSD and have some space to spare for logs
> ? For info there will be only one machine connected to this
> firewall/router.

> Thanks in advance,

How much RAM have you ?

If you need any swap this is probably too tight, but 200 to 250 Mb
should
be Ok.

You'll have to use another box to recompile if you apply patches
though.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 25 May 2001 06:56:43

>> Hello all,

>> I have an 486 with a HD of 127 Mo. I want only to use as a firewall
>> and router, so i will only install minimum packages. Will I have
>> enough space to install OpenBSD and have some space to spare for logs
>> ? For info there will be only one machine connected to this
>> firewall/router.

>> Thanks in advance,

> How much RAM have you ?

> If you need any swap this is probably too tight, but 200 to 250 Mb
> should
> be Ok.

> You'll have to use another box to recompile if you apply patches
> though.

You need this much HD space only if you install X and the comp pkg.  From
my 486DX2 firewall box:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       62511    31239    28147    53%    /
/dev/wd0d       19167     4011    14198    22%    /var
/dev/wd0e      317335    75361   226108    25%    /usr
/dev/wd0f       43847        1    41654     0%    /tmp

Swap size is 64MB.

This is OpenBSD-2.7-Patch with BSD, base27, etc & man pkgs installed
although I did remove some clients and servers.

Good used 540MB drives are available for $15.  Why not just pick one of
them up and install it?

You will need 16MB RAM to do the install, but to run it 8MB is adequate.

Post by jose » Fri, 25 May 2001 23:59:57

> I have an 486 with a HD of 127 Mo. I want only to use as a firewall
> and router, so i will only install minimum packages. Will I have
> enough space to install OpenBSD and have some space to spare for logs
> ? For info there will be only one machine connected to this
> firewall/router.

i've installed an install server using OpenBSD where the base OS took
less than 100 MB. no compiler, no extras. i think i may have even
ditched the manpages.

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sat, 26 May 2001 02:19:17

> Hello all,

> I have an 486 with a HD of 127 Mo. I want only to use as a firewall
> and router, so i will only install minimum packages. Will I have
> enough space to install OpenBSD and have some space to spare for logs
> ? For info there will be only one machine connected to this
> firewall/router.

My 2.8 system is running on a 240 MB hard disk.  Of this 135 MB is used
with /usr/src, /usr/ports and /usr/obj living on another system.

I've pruned fairly hard, but I've got about 20 MB of extras installed
that I don't really need.  By dropping the compiler (no kernel patches
after that though) and various other non-essential things I suspect under
100 MB is possible, just.

Of course, you'll probably need some swap space too...

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE) [PGP key ID 0x1F5239DD]
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

1. Whats is the real minimum install size for RH 6.2 ?

Hello,

I want to recycle an old 486 for use as router and firewall. I only have
a HD of 127 Mo. After deselecting almost all the packages I get a size
for all packages of 109 Mo. But the install stills says i'm missing 8 Mo
on the disk.

I chose Networking station and Utilities only for package selection. Then
I manually deselected all packages.

Can I get rid of the Utilities package or is it really needed ?

Thanks in advance,

2. Linux mail handler

3. Minimum partition size for install

4. Linux Mosaic using Athena

5. minimum install size

6. Solaris UDP problem

7. Minimum drive size for Linux install?

8. DOS client on MARS_NWE, anyone got one running?

9. OpenBSD install on a Compact Flash Card (Size?,Howto?)

10. Minimum size for AIX Filesystems

11. Minimum Hard Disk size for Linux

12. Disk and RAM size for minimum character mode Linux

13. [ATM] get minimum frame size right in lec.c