dhclient doesn't provide gateway nor DNS

dhclient doesn't provide gateway nor DNS

Post by Matt » Tue, 29 May 2001 14:44:27

RTTA

Dhclient.conf file is stock (uncommented) and looks like this:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
      domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, lpr-servers, ntp-servers;

I'm using Optimum Online / cable, which of course has a dhcp server to
provide me the necessary information, which my dhcp client either fails to
request or implement.  It does successfully assign the internet IP address
and subnet mask, though, so I don't understand why it doesn't give me a
default route and dns servers.

I'm using OpenBSD 2.8. and my interface.if (where if is the one to my cable
modem) file contains "dhcp NONE" (I've also tried "dhcp" and "dhcp NONE NONE
NONE")

The man pages contain no relevant information  for this seemingly
simple(dhclient.conf, dhclient), and neither does the FAQ.  I'm assuming my
resolv.conf and myroute should be set dynamically by dhclient on bootup.
Also, I have myname sent to some random hostname, which should presumably
also be set dynamically (as per dhclient.conf).

Thanks,

Matt

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 30 May 2001 09:49:10

> RTTA

> Dhclient.conf file is stock (uncommented) and looks like this:

> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>       domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, lpr-servers,
>       ntp-servers;

> I'm using Optimum Online / cable, which of course has a dhcp server to
> provide me the necessary information, which my dhcp client either fails to
> request or implement.  It does successfully assign the internet IP address
> and subnet mask, though, so I don't understand why it doesn't give me a
> default route and dns servers.

> I'm using OpenBSD 2.8. and my interface.if (where if is the one to my
> cable modem) file contains "dhcp NONE" (I've also tried "dhcp" and "dhcp
> NONE NONE NONE")

> The man pages contain no relevant information  for this seemingly
> simple(dhclient.conf, dhclient), and neither does the FAQ.  I'm assuming
> my resolv.conf and myroute should be set dynamically by dhclient on
> bootup. Also, I have myname sent to some random hostname, which should
> presumably also be set dynamically (as per dhclient.conf).

> Thanks,

> Matt

Are you sure that dhclient didn't give you a default route?  What is the
output of 'netstat -rn'?

As for nameservers, it is simple enough to edit /etc/resolv.conf.  I have a
local DNS server and its address is in the router/firewall's
/etc/resolv.conf.  If you don't know your ISP's nameserver addresses, ask
them or do a whois on their domain name.

1. mandrake 9 doesn't see gateway nor network

Greetings,

I have a gateway to connect to the web : under W2k no pb : I fill in the
gateway adress, My Ip, Netmask and done.

under Mandrake 9 : I cannot even ping my gateway nor ping the other
computer on the network. The card is eth0, up and running. But after a
dmesg, I get a "card in promiscuous mode" ; I read in
http://www.stanford.edu/group/itss-ccs/security/unix/promisc.html that
it was a passive attack ? strange but My machine is not always connected
so I doubt having been hacked (any tips ?)...

Anyway, I tried route add default gw IPofTheGateway and stuff like that
but to no avail..

Before owning a routerI used to connect via adsl dial-in and it worked
fine...

I'm lost so any help is appreciated...

2. help needed for booting?

3. How come dhclient doesn't update exiting default gateway entry...?

4. Help w/ samba

5. Why doesn't ISP provide the DNS ?

6. X.25 Support under Linux

7. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

8. freebsd iso question

9. IPTables doesn't work (nor IPCHAINS) for kernel 2.4.1

10. dhclient doesn't respond to DHCP OFFER

11. Nis server doesn't provide Passwords

12. IPTables vs. DNS (or : iptables doesn't change sourceport when MASQ'ing)

13. ... nor can Alan[Re: was: PATCH: nor PPC people ;)]