remote login through xdmcp not working

Post by Gad » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:05:55

Hi, this is a bit long so bear with me.

I'm trying to login using Linux to OpenBSD 3.1. I want to run xdm on the
obsd machine, X on linux and get a login window (which isn't happening,
or I wouldn't be taking your time...).

Here's what I've done:
1. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
        * put '!' infront of DisplayManager.requestPort:0
        * added DisplayManager*chooser: /etc/X11/xdm/chooser
2. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess so that all clients can access           (uncommented
the '*').
3. Configured X for my video card, keyboard and mouse (starts ok
locally, using startx or X).
4. Added to Xservers the '<name of linux machine>:1 foreign'
5. Added a file /etc/X0.hosts containing the hostname of the linux
machine, and a symlinkt to it, named /etc/X1.hosts (just in case).

Now, I start up xdm as root 'xdm -config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config'.
Then, on the linux machine I do 'X :1 -query 192.168.0.2', which starts
up a second display fine, but no login prompt appears.

I know that there is somesort of a connection between the two machines,
since when I do netstat on either I can see a session between linux
machine port 6001 and xdm on obsd.

As I said, X on linux starts with no complaint. xdm on obsd complains
about pckbc, but that's if there's no keyboard attached. The main issue
(no login prompt) isn't solved when I connect a keyboard, anyway.

Any ideas people?

TIA,
Gad

remote login through xdmcp not working

Post by Dethlef Madse » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:38:17

Quote:> Hi, this is a bit long so bear with me.
> Here's what I've done:
> 1. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
> * put '!' infront of DisplayManager.requestPort:0
> * added DisplayManager*chooser: /etc/X11/xdm/chooser
> 4. Added to Xservers the '<name of linux machine>:1 foreign'
> 5. Added a file /etc/X0.hosts containing the hostname of the linux
> machine, and a symlinkt to it, named /etc/X1.hosts (just in case).

> Now, I start up xdm as root 'xdm -config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config'.
> Then, on the linux machine I do 'X :1 -query 192.168.0.2', which starts
> up a second display fine, but no login prompt appears.

This is my way of configuring OBSD 3.1 for X and xdm-login from other
machines:

Quote:> 1. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
> * put '!' infront of DisplayManager.requestPort:0

me 2.  Watch the missing 3. line.

Quote:> 2. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess so that all clients can access (uncommented
> the '*').

allright.

Quote:> 3. Configured X for my video card, keyboard and mouse (starts ok
> locally, using startx or X).

I use XFree 4.2.0 (/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg). For my Matrox G400 i need to
edit the XF86Config manually. :(
If everthings works fine start # xdm as root. This should bring up your
local xdm-login on vt05.
Login in as root and execute  'xhost +'  in a x-term. See man xhost. Just
for testing now allow all hosts to connect.

This works fine me. See also the various logs in /var/log/X**  and your home
for more information.

Hope it helps

dm -

remote login through xdmcp not working

Post by Gad » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:32:32

Well, when I start xdm locally (on the bsd machine) and I connect the
monitor to it, it doesn't really come up. it just tries to come up
repeatedly, then fails, then tries again, until I manage to stop it.
However, when I do startx or X, it comes up.

Maybe xdm is misconfigured or corrupt in some way.

Gad

Post by pe.. » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 04:54:23

> Now, I start up xdm as root 'xdm -config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config'.
> Then, on the linux machine I do 'X :1 -query 192.168.0.2', which starts
> up a second display fine, but no login prompt appears.

i do this (cygwin on winxp) :

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -screen 0 1024x768x32 -query 192.168.1.1 \
 -from 192.168.1.35 &

and it works.

remote logins thru xdmcp are a * to set up correctly (had numerous
problems myself, but it workst now). best tip i can give you :

- ssh to remote host
- kill running xdm
- start xdm in ssh-term with
  xdm -nodaemon -debug 99
- try to log in
- watch notices fly by

my nicest error was something along the lines of "login refused : time
difference too big" when my server was 25 mins behind the client :-)

--
CUL8R, Peter.

OpenBSD 3.0 i386 / 3 users / 51 processes: 3 running, 48 idle
Memory: Real: 21M/56M act/tot Free: 2356K Swap: 14M/122M used/tot

1. Remote logins via xdmcp

I've been wondering the answer to this problem for a long time.  I've
posted to X related news groups and other sources, never to receive an
answer.

Anyway, on to the point...

I'm running Linux as my desktop workstation.  If I execute "X -query
sun-server :1"  (or was it X :1 -query sun-server, I forget...)  Anyway,
I can log in to the sun box no problem, pulls up the desktop, I got the
fonts working correctly, everything.  However, if from that desktop,
I attempt to connect to another machine and run an X app using my
workstation's IP for $DISPLAY, it squawks about not being allowed to do
so.  Under normal circumstances, I could just open an xterm and use
xhost to open it up for that machine.  However, logged in this way, the
xterm is obviously not running on my workstation.

Any suggestions?  I haven't been able to find *anything* for docs.  The
man page contains a vague reference to:

FILES
       /etc/X*.hosts

...in the man page for xhost, but experimenting with various
possibilities there didn't give me any results (like XAdd.hosts,
Xadd.hosts, XAuth.hosts, Xauth.hosts, nothing I tried worked.)

--
Andy Harrison
Time Warner Cable of Maine

2. direct ISDN connection

3. How to login to a remote X session with XDMCP ?

4. Direct connections through NAT/firewall

5. XDMCP remote X login

6. Real Concerns of Smart Tag

7. remote login using XDMCP with GDM

8. Ensign product of Boole & Babbage

9. faillog & remote ssh login not working as expected

10. remote login not in wtmp (who, w, last, didn't work)

11. How to set up remote login thru modem??

12. CDE remote login not working?

13. faillog & remote ssh login not working as expected