Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Post by Jari Huovi » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:23:32



Hi everyone!

I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 several times, but always in an empty PC.
Now, for the first time, I'm attempting to install it in a PC which
already has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed. Here's the HD
scenario:

primary IDE master: 30 GB
---primary---
partition 1: 8 GB, Windows 98
---extended---
partition 2: 12 GB, Windows 2000
free space: 10 GB

I'm really confused about the fdisk / disklabel part of OpenBSD
installation. I've read all the documentation available (man pages and
installation FAQ), but I really don't know what I should do.. When
installing to an empty PC, I've just always done "reinit" to reset
default values, and then created partitions b (swap) and a (/). Now
when I try to create a partition within OpenBSD installation, I can
only create a partition of about 8 megabytes even though there should
be about 10 GB of free space on the disk.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =)

- Jari

 
 
 

Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:44:00



> Hi everyone!

> I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 several times, but always in an empty PC.
> Now, for the first time, I'm attempting to install it in a PC which
> already has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed. Here's the HD
> scenario:

> primary IDE master: 30 GB
> ---primary---
> partition 1: 8 GB, Windows 98
> ---extended---
> partition 2: 12 GB, Windows 2000
> free space: 10 GB

> I'm really confused about the fdisk / disklabel part of OpenBSD
> installation. I've read all the documentation available (man pages and
> installation FAQ), but I really don't know what I should do.. When
> installing to an empty PC, I've just always done "reinit" to reset
> default values, and then created partitions b (swap) and a (/). Now
> when I try to create a partition within OpenBSD installation, I can
> only create a partition of about 8 megabytes even though there should
> be about 10 GB of free space on the disk.

> Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =)

> - Jari

OpenBSD's fdisk program can only deal with the first 8GB of drive space.  
It has a 1024 cyl limit. 1024 cyl x 255 heads x 63 sectors = 8032.5 MB.

You can use Partition Magic to move your Windows partitions closer to the
spindle of the drive to free up some space for OpenBSD closer to the outer
edge of the drive.  

 
 
 

Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Post by Pixel Fai » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:12:49


i find linuxes fdisk program good for this, but openbsd needs to have its
root partition start somewhere below that 1024 cyl (8 gigs) it can be as
big as you want.

you can use a linux installer just to partition and not make a linux
partition since you obviously dont want one. the slackware boot + root
disk works well and is easy to download.



>> Hi everyone!

>> I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 several times, but always in an empty PC.
>> Now, for the first time, I'm attempting to install it in a PC which
>> already has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed. Here's the HD
>> scenario:

>> primary IDE master: 30 GB
>> ---primary---
>> partition 1: 8 GB, Windows 98
>> ---extended---
>> partition 2: 12 GB, Windows 2000
>> free space: 10 GB

>> I'm really confused about the fdisk / disklabel part of OpenBSD
>> installation. I've read all the documentation available (man pages and
>> installation FAQ), but I really don't know what I should do.. When
>> installing to an empty PC, I've just always done "reinit" to reset
>> default values, and then created partitions b (swap) and a (/). Now
>> when I try to create a partition within OpenBSD installation, I can
>> only create a partition of about 8 megabytes even though there should
>> be about 10 GB of free space on the disk.

>> Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =)

>> - Jari

>OpenBSD's fdisk program can only deal with the first 8GB of drive space.  
>It has a 1024 cyl limit. 1024 cyl x 255 heads x 63 sectors = 8032.5 MB.

>You can use Partition Magic to move your Windows partitions closer to the
>spindle of the drive to free up some space for OpenBSD closer to the outer
>edge of the drive.  

--
--
I.M.Fairy
 
 
 

Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:53:35


I agree that the Linux fdisk is indeed useful for setting up your
partitions; however, he already has Windows 98 and 2k installed.  Linux
fdisk will destroy those installations if that is the only tool he uses.  
Partition Magic can safely move the Windows partitions inward on the drive,
making room for OBSD closer to the outer rim of the drive.

> i find linuxes fdisk program good for this, but openbsd needs to have its
> root partition start somewhere below that 1024 cyl (8 gigs) it can be as
> big as you want.

> you can use a linux installer just to partition and not make a linux
> partition since you obviously dont want one. the slackware boot + root
> disk works well and is easy to download.



>>> Hi everyone!

>>> I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 several times, but always in an empty PC.
>>> Now, for the first time, I'm attempting to install it in a PC which
>>> already has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed. Here's the HD
>>> scenario:

>>> primary IDE master: 30 GB
>>> ---primary---
>>> partition 1: 8 GB, Windows 98
>>> ---extended---
>>> partition 2: 12 GB, Windows 2000
>>> free space: 10 GB

>>> I'm really confused about the fdisk / disklabel part of OpenBSD
>>> installation. I've read all the documentation available (man pages and
>>> installation FAQ), but I really don't know what I should do.. When
>>> installing to an empty PC, I've just always done "reinit" to reset
>>> default values, and then created partitions b (swap) and a (/). Now
>>> when I try to create a partition within OpenBSD installation, I can
>>> only create a partition of about 8 megabytes even though there should
>>> be about 10 GB of free space on the disk.

>>> Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =)

>>> - Jari

>>OpenBSD's fdisk program can only deal with the first 8GB of drive space.
>>It has a 1024 cyl limit. 1024 cyl x 255 heads x 63 sectors = 8032.5 MB.

>>You can use Partition Magic to move your Windows partitions closer to the
>>spindle of the drive to free up some space for OpenBSD closer to the outer
>>edge of the drive.

 
 
 

1. Triple Boot Red Hat, Windows 98, Windows 2000

Install Win98 first, them Win2k. The Win2k bootloader will give you the
choice between Win98 and Win2k. Install Linux after that, with the /boot
hint of the PBen and put LILO in the Linux boot partition. Then first you
can boot Linux with a floppy. After that you can create a small file with a
command I just can't remember (read the howto on WinNT and Linux) which you
can copy to the root of C:, and you add a line to the boot.ini on the
booting drive for Win2k, enabling you to start off Linux as you start the
other two operating systems.



2. How to setup HP 5L printer?

3. WinLinux + Windows 98 + Windows 2000??

4. fonts size problem

5. Linux, Windows 2000 & Windows 98 on one Disk

6. Exec'ble [G]AWK scripts [a Q.]

7. Strange Problem with Samba 2.0.7 on OBSD 2.8 and Windows 2000 Pro

8. dupreg error?

9. KDevelop 1.1 for Windows 95/98/NT/2000

10. Windows 2000 & 98

11. SAMBA on Windows 98/2000

12. Microsoft Windows XP/2000/ME/98/95 - Software from MikeSoft

13. So is Windows XP faster or slower than 98/ME/2000?