Why I can't ping local NIC's IP?

Post by Dennis Da » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:15:07

Sorry if this has been asked before.

When I try to ping a local interface's IP address, I got "No route to
host". But if I do a "netstat -rn", it does show the NIC's IP with its
MAC address as its gateway.

This happened to several OpenBSD 2.8 boxes I've installed. Any idea?

TIA,
Dennis

Why I can't ping local NIC's IP?

Post by p.. » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:00:31

>Sorry if this has been asked before.

>When I try to ping a local interface's IP address, I got "No route to
>host". But if I do a "netstat -rn", it does show the NIC's IP with its
>MAC address as its gateway.

>This happened to several OpenBSD 2.8 boxes I've installed. Any idea?

Yes, including output of these calls helps. Please show releveant
parts of ``ifconfig <if>'' ``netstat -rn'' and ``ping <ip>''.

And ipnat or ipf rules if relevant.

--
A real person has two reasons for doing anything ... a good reason and
the real reason.

1. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

Hello guys,

I have a machine with two interfaces, each connected to
a gateway. This two gateways are then connected to a common
network and I want to ping another router in that network over
the two interfaces.

Looks like this:
                        Gateway 1
                           ----
               ------------|  |------------
              | Subnet A   ----            |
            ----
Machine    |  |                Subnet C   Router
            ----
              | Subnet B   ----            |
               ------------|  |------------
                           ----
                        Gateway 2

Now if I type following on my machine it doesn't work:

ping -g 'IP in Subnet A of Gateway 1' 'Router-IP-address'

But if I do a ping (Defaultgateway is 'IP in Subnet A of Gateway 1'
(without -g) it works fine:

ping 'Router-IP-address'

Can someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Walter

2. Any Museum/Archival/Digital Library Software Efforts?

3. Can ping "localhost" but can't ping my own IP...why?

4. Number of "virtual desktops"

5. I can ping IP number but can't ping the URL, why?

6. SCSI Adapters?

7. D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'

8. PHP upload stopped working in RedHat server.

9. Why can't I ping local domains set up with named ???

10. can't ping, netstat -nr shows wrong local-ip

11. Can't ping local host but can ping others

12. Why ip-fw reject for IP's outside node's netmask?

13. Help: Mandriva drops DHCP IP address nor can't ping to local host