savecore at startup

Post by Zulu » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:47:00

I had a kernel panic and core dump previously.  Now, everytime I restart
OpenBSD 3.0, it tries to save a core dump.  Does anyone know how I can
bypass this?

savecore at startup

Post by Martin Foste » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:45:18

> I had a kernel panic and core dump previously.  Now, everytime I restart
> OpenBSD 3.0, it tries to save a core dump.  Does anyone know how I can
> bypass this?

You can simply remove the /var/crash directory.  That will prevent that
operation from taking place in the future.   However, generally the
reason it cannot write the core and attempts another time is related to
the fact that there is not enough space on that partition to allow the
contents of the swap to be flushed.

This is one of the reasons why you should have at least as much swap as
you have memory.    Even if it goes to waste (such as 1GB for a web
server running mod_perl).

                                        Martin Foster

savecore at startup

Post by Zulu » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:21:17

Cool, thanks.  I guess I didn't read /etc/rc carefully enough.  Hehe.

My next question is, where on the harddrive is savecore pulling the data
from?  Since this is happening across multiple reboots, it has to be located
somewhere on the harddrive.