xdm and user login in openBSD 3.0

Post by Olav Fossgaa » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 02:39:22

I cannot log in as a user via xdm's login screen (I get "login
failed"). Console logins are ok, but I cannot log into X unless I do
it as root. The installation is a fresh one without any updates.

Have I forgotten something here?

Olav

Post by walt » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:04:58

> I cannot log in as a user via xdm's login screen (I get "login
> failed"). Console logins are ok, but I cannot log into X unless I do
> it as root. The installation is a fresh one without any updates.

Do you have a .xsession in your home directory, and is it executable?

Post by Olav Fossgaar » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 19:13:17

>> I cannot log in as a user via xdm's login screen (I get "login
>> failed"). Console logins are ok, but I cannot log into X unless I do it
>> as root. The installation is a fresh one without any updates.

> Do you have a .xsession in your home directory, and is it executable?

Problem solved. I was using a shell (bash) that was not listed in
/etc/shells. I added /usr/local/bin/bash to the list and it was okay.

Olav

1. Problems compiling OpenSSH 3.0.2p1 on OpenBSD 3.0 i386

Hello.  I downloaded the source .tar.gz file for OpenSSH 3.0.2p1 off
ftp.openbsd.org.  I was able to uncompress and run ./configure just
fine.  Then when I ran make, it went through compiling many objects
but then halted on readpass.c with the following output:

readpass.c: In function `read_passphrase':
readpass.c:100: `RPP_ECHO_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
readpass.c:100: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
readpass.c:100: for each function it appears in.)
readpass.c:100: `RPP_ECHO_OFF' undeclared (first use in this function)
readpass.c:105: `RPP_REQUIRE_TTY' undeclared (first use in this
function)
readpass.c:121: warning: implicit declaration of function
`readpassphrase'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /root/openssh-3.0.2p1.

I downloaded, uncompressed, ./configure(d), and ran make all under
root again and had the same problem.  I installed the comps package
during OpenBSD 3.0's install and have compiled things like Postfix and
updates to dhcpd from source.  I'm just having problems with compiling
OpenSSH.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Syed N. Ahmad
(Please don't email me, it's a dummy address)

2. Function to follow symbolic links?

3. OpenBSD 3.0 really much more better than 3.0 for me ?

4. CD-ROM problems

5. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

6. Clustering???

7. xdm login not picking up changes to users shell

8. STB Lightspeed128

9. login with xdm as a normal user

10. xdm remote root login but not user

11. NIS+ users cannot login through XDM

12. User can't login via XDM

13. Getting users to show up 'on console' with xdm logins under Solaris 2.5