Route Add Command

Post by ulyssea » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:21:36

I had been running a bridge between a wireless card wi0 to a wired nic dc0,
both of which NAT through another card connected to a cable modem.

I was told that running a bridge was too much load for the wi0 interface.
From what I understand I should be able to use route add to manually add a
route between wi0 and dc0.  I want to be able to see shared directories and
printers connected to dc0 from wireless clients running win2k connecting to
wi0.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Route Add Command

Post by sammysamm » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:00:32

Originally posted by Ulysseas

Quote:> I had been running a bridge between a wireless card wi0 to a wired
> nic dc0,
> both of which NAT through another card connected to a cable modem.

> I was told that running a bridge was too much load for the wi0
> interface.
> From what I understand I should be able to use route add to
> manually add a
> route between wi0 and dc0.  I want to be able to see shared
> directories and
> printers connected to dc0 from wireless clients running win2k
> connecting to
> wi0.

> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

I found that "route add ...." command in openbsd is not easy handle if
you wan it to be done automatically when system is booted.
I could do it manually as "
route add -net 133.33.0.0/16 128.21.21.128
as root, but don't know how to add it to the a file eg. mygate or
hostname.if for automatic handled by the system when it boot.
Can I add the above command to /etc/rc.local file?
of can I add it to the /etc/mygate file? If not, can future release
version of Openbsd centralized the routing configuration in /etc/mygate?

sam.

Route Add Command

Post by M Khom » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:54:57

> Originally posted by Ulysseas

>>I had been running a bridge between a wireless card wi0 to a wired
>>nic dc0,
>>both of which NAT through another card connected to a cable modem.

>>I was told that running a bridge was too much load for the wi0
>>interface.
>>From what I understand I should be able to use route add to
>>manually add a
>>route between wi0 and dc0.  I want to be able to see shared
>>directories and
>>printers connected to dc0 from wireless clients running win2k
>>connecting to
>>wi0.

>>Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

> I found that "route add ...." command in openbsd is not easy handle if
> you wan it to be done automatically when system is booted.
> I could do it manually as "
> route add -net 133.33.0.0/16 128.21.21.128
> as root, but don't know how to add it to the a file eg. mygate or
> hostname.if for automatic handled by the system when it boot.
> Can I add the above command to /etc/rc.local file?
> of can I add it to the /etc/mygate file? If not, can future release
> version of Openbsd centralized the routing configuration in /etc/mygate?

> sam.

See bang cmd-line section of 'man hostname.if'.
Also you can  place your cmds in /etc/rc.local in addition to
if-specific /etc/hostname.ifX files.

MK