Sparc OpenBSD 2.6 and MySQL

Post by P.A.Osbo.. » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I don't suppose that anyone has convinced MySQL to compile on
OpenBSD 2.6 for sparc (4m class)?

I believe that native pthreads are not yet supported in 2.6
for sparc so I figured use of the MIT threads supplied with
MySQL would do the trick.

However letting the makefile go and compile results in an
out of virtual memory error (sorry I dont have the machine
with me at work to cut & paste the error) from the make process
not the kernel  when its only using 50MB of my 80 MB real memory
and top also shows that only 4K of swap (200MB) is in use.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for your time

Paul

Sparc OpenBSD 2.6 and MySQL

Post by Stephan Holtwisc » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I don't suppose that anyone has convinced MySQL to compile on
> OpenBSD 2.6 for sparc (4m class)?

> I believe that native pthreads are not yet supported in 2.6
> for sparc so I figured use of the MIT threads supplied with
> MySQL would do the trick.

> However letting the makefile go and compile results in an
> out of virtual memory error (sorry I dont have the machine
> with me at work to cut & paste the error) from the make process
> not the kernel  when its only using 50MB of my 80 MB real memory
> and top also shows that only 4K of swap (200MB) is in use.

> Thoughts anyone?

Hi,

there was a patch for mysql posted on this forum a while ago,
just check deja.

Stephan

Sparc OpenBSD 2.6 and MySQL

Post by P.A.Osbo.. » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> Thoughts anyone?

> there was a patch for mysql posted on this forum a while ago,
> just check deja.

Deja appear to have timed the thread out :-(

Any chance of a repost or an email pls anyone?

Thanks

Paul

Sparc OpenBSD 2.6 and MySQL

Post by James Grav » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Deja appear to have timed the thread out :-(

>Any chance of a repost or an email pls anyone?

Ask and yea shall receive.

Note, however, that this was on i386.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: MySQL compilation on OpenBSD 2.6
Date: 5 Feb 2000 00:27:53 GMT

These are the things I did to get MySQL compiled on OpenBSD 2.6.
Unfortunately, I didn't get around to sending in a bug report to whoever
about it... sorry.

1.  Running configure

    You can use the ports tree to download and extract the MySQL tar
    archive.  However, you need to run configure manually:

        export CFLAGS=-pthread
        export CXXFLAGS=-pthread
        cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql/work/mysql-3.22.30/
        ./configure

    As far as I know, you don't need to specify the MIT threads option
    on the configure command line.

2.  Patch my_pthread.c

    Patch mysys/my_pthread.c with this:

--- my_pthread.c-orig   Tue Jan 25 12:05:22 2000

 void *my_pthread_getspecific_imp(pthread_key_t key)
 {
   void *value;
-  if (pthread_getspecific(key,(void *) &value))
-    return 0;
+  value = pthread_getspecific(key);
   return value;
 }

 {
   int error;
   if (!attr)
-    error=pthread_mutex_init(mp,pthread_mutexattr_default);
+    error=pthread_mutex_init(mp,NULL);
   else
     error=pthread_mutex_init(mp,*attr);

 {
   int error;
   if (!attr)
-    error=pthread_cond_init(mp,pthread_condattr_default);
+    error=pthread_cond_init(mp,NULL);
   else
     error=pthread_cond_init(mp,*attr);
   return error;

I wasn't sure if these were problems with OpenBSD or MySQL, so I didn't
get around to finding out who to talk about this too.  Guess I was just
being lazy.

Let me know if you have further problems,

James Graves
Free Speech Under Attack in the UK:         http://www.liberty.org.uk/cacib/

1. MySQL binaries for OpenBSD 2.6?

 Greetings all,

I am having big problems trying to get MySQL running on my OpenBSD 2.6
box using the generic kernel.

Ideally I would like a binary (i386) package, but since I can't find a
recent one, I am attempting to compile from /usr/ports. (which I have
done a cvs update in recently.)

However, I get all sorts of compilation errors about threads.  So it
looks like, from reading the MySQL docs, that on OpenBSD, you *must* use
the MIT pthreads. However, the ports Makefile has this disabled!

Okay, so I put --with-mit-pthreads as a configure arguement in the ports
Makefile, and now it progresses a *lot* further.  However, it finally
fails with:

mysqld.cc: In function `void * handle_connections_sockets(void *)':
mysqld.cc:1517: implicit declaration of function `int select(...)'
mysqld.cc:1560: passing `size_socket *' as argument 3 of `accept(int,
sockaddr *, socklen_t *)' changes signedness
mysqld.cc:1587: passing `size_socket *' as argument 3 of
`getsockname(int, sockaddr *, socklen_t *)' changes signedness
*** Error code 1

Does anyone know of a way to work around that?  Has anyone here
succesfully compiled MySQL from OpenBSD 2.6 ports?

Failing any of that, does anyone have a relatively recent MySQL binary
package that I could use?

many thanks in advance,
---Preston

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ZIP comparison question

3. x10 Firecracker + bottlerocket software with OpenBSD 2.6/Sparc

4. SUNWspro C 4.2 and gcc

5. where to find WU-FTPD 2.6 for sparc-solaris 2.6 (binary)?

6. Powermanagement with ATX

7. Moving disks between NetBSD/sparc and OpenBSD/sparc?

8. Problems with SMB (Samba)

9. (Possibly dumb) Q: Move disks from OpenBSD-2.3/sparc to NetBSD-1.5/sparc ?

10. MYSQL on solaris 2.6

11. Cannot get mysql to work on Solaris 2.6

12. mysql 3.23.45 on solaris 2.6

13. Problem Compiling Mysql on Solaris 2.6