OpenBSD with router

Post by Bart J Hime » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:04:44

I'm using OpenBSD on a machine that connects to the internet through a
Netgear Router.  My network card is configured, and gets a good IP
address from the router, but I cannot get to any sites on line.  This is
just after installation.

I also use Linux on the same machine with no problems, so there are no
hardware problems.

Any ideas?

OpenBSD with router

Post by Jan-Uwe Fin » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:53:06

<snip>

Quote:> Any ideas?

Did you configure your default route ?

OpenBSD with router

Post by Bart Hime » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:50:48

How do I do that?  Sorry to ask such a basic sounding question, but I've
never had this problem before.  I used to use Openbsd, and it always worked
just fine with dhcp.

right now it seems okay.  'route show' says that the default route is the
router, so that's okay, right?  is there anything else that might need to be
turned on?  packet filtering or something?

> <snip>
> > Any ideas?

> Did you configure your default route ?

OpenBSD with router

Post by Konfuziu » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:04:47

Right after installation, you say. Did you test that from the OpenBSD-router
itself or from a NATed host behind it ?
If it was a NATed host your /etc/sysctl.conf might lack an entry:
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
If you tried it from the OpenBSD-host itself you should have a look at
"netstat -inqf inet" to check whether you outside interface has seen
packets. From then on you will have to decide what to do ... I don't know

good luck
Konfu

OpenBSD with router

Post by Johannes Willenbor » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:56:52

If you just didn't get any site on line, try to configure your
resolve.conf. Perhaps it's just a hostname resolvinig problem...

Johannes

Right after installation, you say. Did you test that from the
OpenBSD-router
itself or from a NATed host behind it ?
If it was a NATed host your /etc/sysctl.conf might lack an entry:
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
If you tried it from the OpenBSD-host itself you should have a look at
"netstat -inqf inet" to check whether you outside interface has seen
packets. From then on you will have to decide what to do ... I don't
know

good luck
Konfu

OpenBSD with router

Post by Bart Hime » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:28:23

Thanks, just copied the resolv.conf file from my Linux install and that
worked.  Don't know why I didn't try that in the first place.

> If you just didn't get any site on line, try to configure your
> resolve.conf. Perhaps it's just a hostname resolvinig problem...

> Johannes

> Right after installation, you say. Did you test that from the
> OpenBSD-router
> itself or from a NATed host behind it ?
> If it was a NATed host your /etc/sysctl.conf might lack an entry:
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
> If you tried it from the OpenBSD-host itself you should have a look at
> "netstat -inqf inet" to check whether you outside interface has seen
> packets. From then on you will have to decide what to do ... I don't
> know

> good luck
> Konfu

1. OpenBSD 3.3 router is too slow

I am running OpenBSD 3.3 on a Soekris NET4501, a 486-based mini-PC with 3
NICs.  I have two of the NIC's configured together as a bridge, and the
third
NIC is configured as a router with one of the bridge NICs.  The other bridge
NIC has no IP at all.  PF rules are being applied on two of the NICs.
I am experiencing very slow network transfer speeds when data has to go
across the router between my local 192.168 net to the public DMZ net.  A
file copied from one network to the other goes at roughly 10 Mb/s instead of
100.  All the NICs on the Soekris box and on all the PCs are 100 Mb/s, and
they are set to use that speed.  All the ethernet cables are Cat 5e, except
for the one connecting the router/firewall to the DSL modem (that one
doesn't need a fast cable since the max speed of DSL is only 1.5 Mb/s).
I can't figure out why it is so slow.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Making Rescue diskette

3. openbsd 3.3 router keeps panic'ing after about two hours

4. Compiling 2.2 from 2.4

5. Cisco Router/OpenBSD router firewall setup

6. Parallel ZIP & kerneld

7. Building an OpenBSD-router

8. Forward a copy of an email to another address

9. OpenBSD 3.2 Switching router

10. OpenBSD completely fails as router/firewall when tsunami of packets arrive

11. OpenBSD router, one ftp hogs the whole connection

12. FTP-Proxy T-DSL Router OpenBSD 3.2

13. openbsd 2.9 with adsl router?