Help for a newbie

Post by The Gor » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:33:13

why is it that when I add users to the system (OpenBSD 2.9), and they logon,
they get just a $ instead of the normal prompt?  I understand it is a
shell... but what the heck?  None of the commands work or anything!  I tried
digging through the man pages, but I honestly don't know what I am looking
for.  Also, what group do I want to add users to if I want to create a
"power user" ( to use the Windows term) for the system?  Thanks for the
help...

Lost
Geoff Sweet.

Help for a newbie

Post by shawnews.cg.shawcable.ne » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:34:11

$ = Regular User, ie, bgates >=)
# = Super User, ie, root.

These are good to know, for most unix type systems AFAIK, including Cisco
CLI.

As for the power user, hmmm, hard to compare.. This isn't windows. there's
always su, or sudo - same as runas in windows, kinda.

You 'might' wanna add a user to operators, or wheel group(s), but, it's up
to you.. I would do some reading if I were you (no offence, but it's the
best way to start learning/understand how all the pieces fit together). One
excellent book I recommend is 'UNIX System Administration Handbook' the
purple one.

Quote:> why is it that when I add users to the system (OpenBSD 2.9), and they
logon,
> they get just a $ instead of the normal prompt?  I understand it is a
> shell... but what the heck?  None of the commands work or anything!  I
tried
> digging through the man pages, but I honestly don't know what I am looking
> for.  Also, what group do I want to add users to if I want to create a
> "power user" ( to use the Windows term) for the system?  Thanks for the
> help...

> Lost
> Geoff Sweet.

Help for a newbie

Post by shawnews.cg.shawcable.ne » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:37:17

LOL!  I like your signature, I just noticed it.. ;-)

- LOST - hahaha

> $ = Regular User, ie, bgates >=)
> # = Super User, ie, root.

> These are good to know, for most unix type systems AFAIK, including Cisco
> CLI.

> As for the power user, hmmm, hard to compare.. This isn't windows. there's
> always su, or sudo - same as runas in windows, kinda.

> You 'might' wanna add a user to operators, or wheel group(s), but, it's up
> to you.. I would do some reading if I were you (no offence, but it's the
> best way to start learning/understand how all the pieces fit together).
One
> excellent book I recommend is 'UNIX System Administration Handbook' the
> purple one.

> > why is it that when I add users to the system (OpenBSD 2.9), and they
> logon,
> > they get just a $ instead of the normal prompt?  I understand it is a
> > shell... but what the heck?  None of the commands work or anything!  I
> tried
> > digging through the man pages, but I honestly don't know what I am
looking
> > for.  Also, what group do I want to add users to if I want to create a
> > "power user" ( to use the Windows term) for the system?  Thanks for the
> > help...

> > Lost
> > Geoff Sweet.

1. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

Starting this learning experience literally from scratch.Will learn about
Unix and FreeBSD with all the documentation offered, but need to some
assistance initially before I can even get to that point.

The intended box that I plan on installing FreeBSD on is completely stripped
to the bone: Pentium 1, 2 gig HD, CD-ROM and Floppy, network card. HD is not
even formatted.

Here are the questions:

    - Does the HD need to be formatted? If so, in what format (FAT)?
    - What needs to be done with the other peripherals before installation
(I know I can't install it if there is no accessory configured to do so)?
    - Can the Free-BSD files be downloaded from a Windows box, then
installed onto the new box?
        If so, can it be done with the floppy drive (I know they fit on a
floppy perfectly in bin, but can they be transfered in such a way)?
        If not, what would you recommend for installation?
    - Lastly, once installed, where is the source code located once FreeBSD
is installed (is it in a certain directory, one big file or multiple), or
does it need to be downloaded separately? Is a development kit required for
access to manage/change?

From reading the "Newbie" Scetion on the web page, this newsgroup seems to
be where these kind of questions can be answered well. All assistance is
greatly appreciated. In advance, thanks for all the help.

Brad

2. Monitoring host with ping

3. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

4. Port Question .....

5. HELP HELP HELP NEWBIE Cannot get the DHCP set up properly and cannot connect to internet

6. Can I boot Linux with OS/2 Bootmanager?

7. Help..help...help... Newbie is clueless!!!

8. Sharing Windows Files on Unix?

9. Newbie newbie newbie

10. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

11. Help! Newbie to Sun and need some help.

12. Newbie : Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

13. HELP: Newbie help needed 2940UW woes