OpenBSD ports

Post by jaymz » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:32:42

Hey all,

I'm new to the whole *BSD-scene, I have a Solaris/HP-UX background.
However, now it seems my boss wants me to start looking after a few
OpenBSD-boxes at work. I am turning to you - the OpenBSD community :)
- for some pointers as this is a new arena for me.

I looked at the boxes for the first time today, and after some
investigating, it seems that whoever had been looking after them until
now had not done a very good job. Several of the patches I found on
OpenBSD.org had not been applied even though they were posted a while
back. Oh well. I patched 'em up-to-date. (I really like the diff-style
patching, btw.)

But, it seems I will need to do more upgrading/fiddling around. I
found the list of availible packages and installed the ones I needed -
but if I understand correctly, what I really want to do is install a
lot of the apps from the ports tree to get the latest possible version
of things. And - that means I have to update the ports tree (right?)
I've found lots of info about this - but ALOT of it is confilicting.
My questions regarding the ports tree:

1. CAN I run ports --stable on a system that was installed from the
distro CD's without upgrading the system to --stable? If so, how do I
update the ports tree to --stable? I've found at least 10 conflicting
sources of info on how to do this.

2. If I keep patching the machines with the patches from OpenBSD.org -
do I need to CVS down the --stable stuff at all??? (from a security
perspective)

I guess what I want to do is run the system as a distribution system
with a ports tree updated to stable. (am I way of track there?)

I really wish I had more time to look into this. I am hoping for some
quick answers here. Unfortunately, I have to fight fires on my Solaris
boxes all day.

Oh, by the way -- they are OpenBSD 3.1 systems (i386) installed right
from the distro CD's.

I really would be grateful for any help in this matter.

Thanx,

jaymz

OpenBSD ports

Post by Jan Bana » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 04:07:49

On 6 Sep 2002 11:32:42 -0700

which I vaguely recall as:

Quote:> 1. CAN I run ports --stable on a system that was installed from the
> distro CD's without upgrading the system to --stable? If so, how do I
> update the ports tree to --stable? I've found at least 10 conflicting
> sources of info on how to do this.

My impression is that all apps in the ports tree are to be considered stable unless stated otherwise. I.e, the editors/vim branch has both a stable and a snapshot branch.

Quote:

> 2. If I keep patching the machines with the patches from OpenBSD.org -
> do I need to CVS down the --stable stuff at all??? (from a security
> perspective)

What you CVS down from --stable would be what you have but with latest patches applied (correct me if I'm wrong). Since you apply these yourself (did you?) you wouldn't need to.

Quote:

> I guess what I want to do is run the system as a distribution system
> with a ports tree updated to stable. (am I way of track there?)

> I really wish I had more time to look into this. I am hoping for some
> quick answers here. Unfortunately, I have to fight fires on my Solaris
> boxes all day.

> Oh, by the way -- they are OpenBSD 3.1 systems (i386) installed right
> from the distro CD's.

> I really would be grateful for any help in this matter.

> Thanx,

> jaymz

Can't really tell you if I'm completely right, I'm not that professional :)

OpenBSD ports

Post by Matthew L. Shob » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 13:44:50

> I've found lots of info about this - but ALOT of it is confilicting.

Official documentation is authoratative.

Quote:> I guess what I want to do is run the system as a distribution system
> with a ports tree updated to stable. (am I way of track there?)

Source trees should be in sync.

Quote:> I really wish I had more time to look into this. I am hoping for some
> quick answers here.

Simple answers to complex questions are worse than no answers.

Read:

http://www.openbsd.org/
                        errata.html
                        anoncvs.html
                        stable.html
                        faq/

Please don't skip anything; you will do yourself no favors.
--
mls

OpenBSD ports

Post by Steve Fairhea » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 13:41:18

Quote:> Source trees should be in sync.

Scenario: I've updated both the source tree and the ports tree by CVS. I've
rebuilt the kernel, rebooted, rebuilt userland. I presume I then need to
remove and rebuild any affected previously-installed ports/packages. Is this
correct?

I couldn't find this in the FAQs directly; it seems to be implied. I'd be
grateful for confirmation or pointers.

Steve
--
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk - SFD: Solutions by Design
http://www.fivetrees.com - ecommerce for independent musicians

1. OpenBSD port for SSHD to windows

I'm setting up SSHD on my win2ks using OpenSSH for Windows 3.5p1-3.

 OpenSSH is primarily developed by Open BSD project
(http://www.openbsd.org/)  and (http://www.openssh.com/), so that's why I
think you guys might know the answer to my question.

I'm trying to setup the RhostsRSAAuthentication, but I did not succeed yet.

I put all the files (keys etc.) in the right directories, but I'm not sure
which permissions to set on a win2k machine.

When logging in, sshd keeps telling me that

debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try privkey: /bin/.ssh/identity
debug1: try privkey: /bin/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: try privkey: /bin/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interacti
vedebug1: next auth method to try is password
password:

So, it just ignores to login by key. Do you have a clue for me?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Olav

***Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead...****

2. Kernel 2.4.9 doesn't like K7

3. OpenBSD ports {KDE 2.2}

4. Word Processors on UNIX(tm) and PCs

5. linux->openbsd porting problem

6. .xinitrc

7. Will openbsd port to an ancient IBM PS/2 Model 80?

8. Recursive rm *.BAK files through directories from root

9. how can I tell waht mods where made to a certain file in my OpenBSD ports tree?

10. Porting fcron to OpenBSD ...

11. VPN, gre, port 1723, OpenBSD, ipnat.rules, etc. what gives?

12. OpenBSD & X10 automation: serial port troubleshooting,pccom,/dev/cua,cm11a)

13. How to start php4 installed by ports in OpenBSD 3.3?