Using Floppies

Post by Breen Ouellett » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

    I just want to verify that this is the proper procedure for using
floppies natively on OpenBSD (because it seems like such a convoluted
process compare to MS-DOS).

    1. use fdformat on the disk
    2. use disklabel on the disk to set up a partition
    3. use newfs to create a filesystem on the newly set up partition

    Is there a better (quicker) way?

    -Breen Ouellette

Using Floppies

Post by horio shoich » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I just want to verify that this is the proper procedure for using
> floppies natively on OpenBSD (because it seems like such a convoluted
> process compare to MS-DOS).

>     1. use fdformat on the disk
>     2. use disklabel on the disk to set up a partition
>     3. use newfs to create a filesystem on the newly set up partition

>     Is there a better (quicker) way?

>     -Breen Ouellette

Better or not, I am using floppies without step 2 above. I.e., using only
partition c.

horio shoichi

Using Floppies

Post by pixel fair » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I just want to verify that this is the proper procedure for using
> floppies natively on OpenBSD (because it seems like such a convoluted
> process compare to MS-DOS).

>     1. use fdformat on the disk
>     2. use disklabel on the disk to set up a partition
>     3. use newfs to create a filesystem on the newly set up partition

>     Is there a better (quicker) way?

/usr/ports/sysutils/mtools

1. using floppies under Linux executor under NetBSD

I am using the NetBSD 1.0A i386 March 4 tarballs.

I created the following special file:

crw-r-----  1 root  operator    9,   0 Mar  8 14:38 /emul/linux/dev/fd0

Now when I am running the Linux executor I can (almost) access the
floppy.  I press shift-left-alt-2 and the emulator accesses the Mac HD
floppy and presents the folder names.  Attempts to transfer files via
the desk accessory fail.  I don't have any executables on floppies to
try running yet.

Has anyone gotten further than this?

2. recompiling for sound

3. Using floppy tapes under Linux?

4. tar file needed for Z transfer

5. HP Vectra VL4 with Travan 1000 800Mo using floppy controller

6. Sendmail address rewriting

8. Line too long in vi and how to use pipe sans |

9. Using floppy devices > 1440 blocks

10. Using floppy tape drive.

11. Installing Linux w/o using floppies

12. install linux/freebsd using floppy