Syslogd question

Post by Me » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:20:46

In my console window I keep getting the following message:

<datetime> <servername> syslogd:  `/` in "/dev//dev/tty"

I suppose I could just ignore the message because everything is working
fine, but the message worries me.  Any ideas?

Syslogd question

Post by jose » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 04:33:01

> In my console window I keep getting the following message:

console messages are dumped like that because they're high priority. see
syslogd.conf.

Quote:> <datetime> <servername> syslogd:  `/` in "/dev//dev/tty"

> I suppose I could just ignore the message because everything is working
> fine, but the message worries me.  Any ideas?

you have a mis typed config file somewhere. check syslogd.conf, maybe.

Syslogd question

Post by Me » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:16:39

I thought it was a mistyped config file, but I can't find it anywhere.  My
system is very standard (just installed 2.8 from CD) and I can't think of
anywhere that I would have typed this.

Does it have something to do with my being logged in as root?  The message
repeats every couple of minutes as long as I'm logged in as root.  Also if I
login as root to another terminal, I get a similar message referring to that
terminal.

<datetime> <servername> syslogd:  `/` in "/dev//dev/tty"2

> > In my console window I keep getting the following message:

> console messages are dumped like that because they're high priority. see
> syslogd.conf.

> > <datetime> <servername> syslogd:  `/` in "/dev//dev/tty"

> > I suppose I could just ignore the message because everything is working
> > fine, but the message worries me.  Any ideas?

> you have a mis typed config file somewhere. check syslogd.conf, maybe.

1. syslogd question

I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc platform.  Sometimes my syslogd is
running but not logging.  I have a cron job that does a kill -HUP on it
everyday at 18:00.  It seems like syslogd just goes to lunch every so often.
I have not been able to pin a pattern on it either.  Is there a way that I
can talk to syslogd to see if it is logging ok without having to rely on the
file size of the log file to change?  Or have syslog stick a line in a log
file every 30 minutes to say something like "I'm still logging!" ... just
anything to see if it is still logging.  I would like to have this run every
30 minutes..whatever it may be.

I was thinking about writing a perl script to see if syslogd was running,
check the file size of the log, sleep for 3 minutes, and check the file size
again.  If they are the same, restart syslogd....but that's not really
reliable.

Has anyone run into this problem before?  Any comments / questions /
suggestions are welcome! :-)

If possible please respond via e-mail.

THANK YOU!
John Stevenson

2. getutline() and pututline() --> What am I doing wrong?

3. XF86Free config file needed for Cirrus logic CL-5428 w/1M and NEC XV15+ monitor

4. Win Modem Query (Newbie)

5. Ethereal problem ? & some other issues....??

6. Remote syslogd question

7. Syslogd Question on Solaris 2.6

8. Syslogd question?

9. Syslogd question