OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Darren Ree » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:57:18

binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

src .tgz's should be around soonish.

in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by p.. » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:11:43

> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org
> src .tgz's should be around soonish.
> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.
> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

Thankx, i'll give it a try.

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Berk S. Daemo » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:26:27

Quote:> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

Finally! ;)

I'll try it out on my laptop. When's 4.x due?

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:54:29

> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available
> at http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the
> scripts and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

Is there any reason that we should not continue to use your ipfilter
integrated into OpenBSD-2.9?  The 3.0 version does not appear to offer
any improvements with regard to NAT/firewall/router functionality.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Kamas » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:38:01

Sorry, if I have missed something of major importance previously discussed
here, but is http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org some kind of OpenBSD 3.0 Darren
Reed Special Edition?
Don't get me wrong but is this an official version approved by the OpenBSD
Team?

|| just wondering

Quote:> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Ian Linwoo » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:35:36

On 17 Jan 2002 04:57:18 +1100, Darren Reed

>binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
>http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

>src .tgz's should be around soonish.

>in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

>If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
>and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

Excellent!

I've been holding off going to 3.0 because of this PF thingy.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by p.. » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 05:09:02

> Sorry, if I have missed something of major importance previously discussed
> here, but is http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org some kind of OpenBSD 3.0 Darren
> Reed Special Edition?
> Don't get me wrong but is this an official version approved by the OpenBSD
> Team?

I don't think you have to be approved by anoone to port software to
openbsd. The license for openbsd allows anyone to use the software
in any way they won't.

Which is the whole idea of Open Source !

> || just wondering

>> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
>> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

>> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

>> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

>> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
>> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
           Remove "icke-reklam" and it works.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by NoSpam_lyon » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:59:21

Quote:>Sorry, if I have missed something of major importance previously discussed
>here, but is http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org some kind of OpenBSD 3.0 Darren
>Reed Special Edition?
>Don't get me wrong but is this an official version approved by the OpenBSD
>Team?

As I understand it, the reason why IPF had to be pulled out of the
OpenBSD tree in the first place was that the OpenBSD team believed
that the IPF license of the time may have prevented somebody from
doing what Darren has done.  Now that IPF is gone, anybody can
basically do whatever they like with the source.

You can have your own special edition too!

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Alla » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:06:36

Quote:>Sorry, if I have missed something of major importance previously discussed
>here, but is http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org some kind of OpenBSD 3.0 Darren
>Reed Special Edition?
>Don't get me wrong but is this an official version approved by the OpenBSD
>Team?

As I understand it, the whole reason why IPF had to be pulled from the
OpenBSD tree in the first place was to allow exactly this sort of
thing.  It seems that it was believed by the OpenBSD team that the
license for IPF at the time may have prevented someone from doing what
Darren has done.  Now that IPF is gone, anybody can go ahead and
change whatever they like with the source and distribute it too.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Satan D'Asto » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:30:58

Reed, you had the chance to review your liscencing, and you didn`t.

you are really wasting your time now.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by n3 » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:52:00

> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

wow. thats pretty crazy. you've got style.

will you do other architecures?

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Buck Pylan » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:28:02

> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

When I was Darren's age, I would be annoyed as hell over something
like this.  Nowadays, I'm just amused.  Folks, don't worry about
this.  Darren's still young.  He'll get over this whole thing between
Theo and himself ... eventually.  In the meantime, just use both of
their fine products anyway you like, and be happy.

--
Buck Pyland

http://www.stlbsd.org

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Charles Rot » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:20:01

> > binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> > http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> > src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> > in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> > If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> > and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

> Finally! ;)

> I'll try it out on my laptop. When's 4.x due?

Way cool!

Will a SPARC port be forthcoming?  I have this old LX that would make a
_dandy_ dedicated firewall.

Charles Roten

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by Siddhartha Ja » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:41:35

> binary files for OpenBSD/i386 3.0 with IPFilter 3.4.23 are available at
> http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org

> src .tgz's should be around soonish.

> in the next few weeks, I'll build and upload iso's.

> If you must do it from source, IPFilter 3.4.23 contains all the scripts
> and patches you need to patch-up a openbsd 3.0 distribution.

This is really good. Licensing and ego issues apart, i think it gives
OBSD users more choice. People who missed IPF can have it now without
hassles and those who want can move ahead with PF.

In the future maybe more people will release their own editions and
finally we might have corporates like RH/Suse distributing ISOs with
several software bundled which the OBSD team can't because of
licensing issues. At the end of the day, me feels, OBSD is the winner.

OpenBSD/IPF 3.0

Post by mips » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:05:55

Quote:> Reed, you had the chance to review your liscencing, and you didn`t.
> you are really wasting your time now.

Did he sent back patches ? O:)~

More seriously, this means that he really take PF has a challenger for
ipf, instead of what he says. But on other hand this is funny to see
him becoming more and more ridiculous ...

mips

1. ipf on openbsd 3.0

 i am doing a clean install of stable "just released on ftp" openbsd 3.0. as
of release 3.0 openbsd does not include ipf, they use a new firewall called
pf. i am sure you guys knew that so that is why i am asking ya this
question.

question: i dont want to use pf i want ipf which i have used for years, but
never upgraded or compiled from src. i just used what was present. is it
possible to dl the newest ipf and compile it to work on 3.0. if sombody has
already made a package please advise otherwise please give detailed
instructions on how to compile, install and other changes that need to be
made "like uninstall pf of disable it".

ps. if you guys know of any good openbsd forums and places that folks share
packages please post addy.

thanks,
easytoker

2. Multiple machines

3. Problems compiling OpenSSH 3.0.2p1 on OpenBSD 3.0 i386

4. New to openbsd

5. OpenBSD 3.0 really much more better than 3.0 for me ?

6. Ftape gives I/O error, says tape isn't formatted

7. License issues on IPF and OpenBSD 2.9 ?

8. Conflict between SB PCI/16 and USB?

9. OpenBSD 2.9 and IPF

10. IPNAT and IPF (OpenBSD 2.9)

11. OpenBSD 2.9 IPF & NT4 VPN RAS

12. OpenBSD 2.9 (IPF & NAT) Firewall & Microsoft VPN problem

13. openbsd & ipf probem on bootup