Router/gateway?

Post by Rafa3 » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:53:41

Hi
i have 2 subnets of ip's, 64 ip's each
i have a modem that is my gateway to the internet
how do i set up the server to be a gateway for the computers on the
network?

i thought that seting the forwarding option to 1 would do but it
didn't
i found gateways with NAT only on the internet - no idea on how to do
it with real ip's - maybe i have to add static routing rules?
where can i find an example? or how do i do it? (didn't find it on the
net myself)
tried routed etc but it didn't help
i hope someone can help me
--
RnR (at) extreme (dot) eu (dot) org
Enjoy life, Snowboard!

Router/gateway?

Post by jp » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:43:54

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:53:41 +0100,

Quote:> i have 2 subnets of ip's, 64 ip's each
> i have a modem that is my gateway to the internet
> how do i set up the server to be a gateway for the computers on the
> network?

Put the server between the modem and your networks?

Quote:> i thought that seting the forwarding option to 1 would do but it
> didn't

Supply a diagram[1] with network layout and tell us where on what
machine you set forwarding to 1.

Quote:> i found gateways with NAT only on the internet - no idea on how to do
> it with real ip's - maybe i have to add static routing rules?

Do you want to pass routable ips thru NAT? Or what are you trying to do?
If you, as above, `just' want a gateway, you only need forwarding set to
one, but that won't work on, eg a host with only one NIC. So you really
need to explain what you want in more detail.

Quote:> where can i find an example? or how do i do it? (didn't find it on the
> net myself)
> tried routed etc but it didn't help

Routed is only useful to tie a bunch of routers together on a small network.
If you only have one gate, you don't need routed.

[1] Ascii or url. Do _not_ post graphics as attachments here.

Router/gateway?

Post by Bartosz Czup » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:22:25

Quote:

> i thought that seting the forwarding option to 1 would do but it
> didn't
> i found gateways with NAT only on the internet - no idea on how to do
> it with real ip's - maybe i have to add static routing rules?

just set forwarding on your server - in /etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

if all your machines have real IP than you don't need to anything more on the server-gateway, NAT is only neccessery when your internal network has non-rutting IP addresses. Next step is to configure all your machines (windows, linux, openbsd or whatever) to use IP of your server as gateway - in  OpenBSD: write IP of your server to /etc/mygate

Make sure that your pf configuration don't block the traffic.

1. What is minimal machine to run as router/gateway/web-/mail-server?

Hello, I am trying to set up a Linux machine on a pentium to use with a DSL line
as a router/gateway/web/mail server. I am trying to keep costs down. What would
you recommend as an adequate system? The web page will probably be pretty basic, no dhtml,
or major auctions going on. BUt I do want to run a mail server off it, maybe even POP. Can
I get by with a PI-200? Is a Pentium II 233 overkill? Is this possible to do in around $350?
(2 NICs, 4 GB, 32 RAM, CDROM, no monitor [have one already])? Is Celeron the way to go?
Thanks for any info or suggestions.

2. PPP Compilation: Problem in if_ppp.h ?

3. Linux as a Router/Gateway

4. Iomega Ditto Easy800 - setup help required

5. Router/gateway for small (16node) local network?

6. Binary compatible ?

7. Question re FreeBSD on floppy suitable for small home router/gateway

8. Is the bind IPC call broken?

9. Q: Limit client's bandwith-usage of router/gateway?

10. OpenBSD or sunOS for home router/gateway

11. How to setup my linux box to be a router/gateway?

12. router/gateway help needed

13. can't see the router/gateway machine