Are sendmail & inetd services necessary?

Are sendmail & inetd services necessary?

Post by Carsten Menk » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:48:58

Hi

I'm running OpenBSD 2.9 as a firewall for my DSL connection, therefore I
want to know if sendmail and inetd which is startet during boot is
really necessary to let OpenBSD operate without problems.

Is the sendmail daemon used to send the error and warning messages?

As I else have no need for sendmail and inetd I would disable them to
get even more secure.

Regards

Carsten

Are sendmail & inetd services necessary?

Post by Han » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:26:29

Carsten Menke schreef de met > gemarkeerde tekst.

Quote:> I'm running OpenBSD 2.9 as a firewall for my DSL connection, therefore I
> want to know if sendmail and inetd which is startet during boot is
> really necessary to let OpenBSD operate without problems.

Sendmail is a lame duck. It can only send messages from localhost and
will not open ports 25. No need to disable it.

Inetd will not open any ports eiter if they are not opened by you.
except for portmap and identd.

And it is very easy to disable them. Check /etc/rc.conf

Groetjes, Han.
--
A random bookmark:                            http://www.slashdot.org/

1. Network issue, losing inetd services, ssh, & nfs mounts.

I need a little troubleshooting advice.
In a nutshell...
My server, a e450 running Solaris 5.6 is losing network connectivity.
SunOS foobarserver 5.6 Generic_105181-26 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

Setup: e450 Solaris 5.6, hme0 & qfe0 have accessible IP's.
Symtoms: I'm ssh'd into both IP's tailing log files, I'm telneted in
to both IP's, tailing log files & ping tests, and I get dropped
randomly 45 seconds to sometimes 2 minutes, zero to 2 times a day.
rlogin & ftp die as well. The server becomes unpingable from the
outside using either IP.
NFS mount is mounted as follows;
/usr/stc from foobarserver2:/export/stc
Flags: vers=2,proto=udp,sec=sys,hard,intr,dynamic,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,retrans=5
 Lookups:     srtt=7 (17ms), dev=3 (15ms), cur=2 (40ms)
 Reads:     srtt=4 (10ms), dev=3 (15ms), cur=2 (40ms)
 Writes:     srtt=7 (17ms), dev=4 (20ms), cur=2 (40ms)
 All:     srtt=7 (17ms), dev=3 (15ms), cur=2 (40ms)

I understand that version2/udp isn't very good, but the netware server
won't accept a vers3/tcp connection as it needs to be upgraded.
/var/adm/messages is pummelled with nfs timeouts for 1 second & back
the same second. The outages I'm experiencing can be correlated to
those nfs timeouts which span 30-120 seconds. I was initially thinking
that having this NFS mount under /usr probably wasn't the best idea as
it locks up the /usr directory (not sub directories) & thought it may
be causing our problems, i.e. the cause, not the effect, but I have
been unable to reproduce it in the lab & ssh is running out of /opt.
Would not being able to stat the /usr directory in any way be causing
this problem? I'm installing the latest recommended patches this
Sunday, what else should I be looking at?
The NFS errors are the only thing showing up in /var/adm/messages.
Today I had a similar problem with a development server, the nfs
mounts are tcp/vers3, same kind of outage, no messages (probably
because its version3 & not udp/2). So now I'm back to thinking it's a
network issue.
Thanks.
Mike

2. I want to setup a mail server in a DMZ.

3. Calling programs through inetd & services

4. getting usrid from pid returned from fcntl()

5. Are these services necessary?

6. process monitoring using java???

7. necessary services in /etc/rc*

8. usb problem on ECS-k7vta3

9. ML9.0:are services fam, portmap and xinetd necessary on a stand-alone desktop computer

10. necessary groups in /etc/group, and necessary users in /usr/passwd

11. getpeername() from inetd - what am I doing wrong?

12. Time service parameters in inetd.conf

13. inetd: pop3/tcp: unknown service