Java applet font problems

Post by bug-use.. » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've noticed this on both 2.5 and a snapshot about one month old, that the
text displayed by Java applets in Netscape Navigator 4.61 installed from
ports is always horizontally compressed into illegible garbage.

If anyone else here has noticed this problem, would they know of a solution?

-Dave Wilburn

--
* David Wilburn
* JMU Computer Science Student

1. problem running Java Applets on linux - threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread ????

I have a problem running Java Applets.
I'm running a SuSE7.2 based machine.

When accessing a page that has a simple "Hello World!" Java Applet
on it, the Konqueror window stays "Loading Applet".
When accessing the same page from another machne, it runs fine.

So... conclusion: the Applet is fine?

So now what is wrong?
I already checked some things.

In the browser, Settings->KonquerorBrowser->Java
I Do have: "Enable Java Globally" enabled,
I have Path to java executable to 'java'
And have not specified any Domain specific stuff

The 'java' points to:

/usr/lib/java/bin/java

This is a version 1.1.8:

java version "1.1.8"

So, IMHO, it seems that I DO have a working java. Don't I?

I also tried a different java, under: :/usr/lib/jdk1.3/jre/bin/java

java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0, mixed mode)

But with similar results.

I tried starting Konqueror from the commandline, to see if it
complains.... Well it does, a little.

http://jvdploe.speed.planet.nl/~jvdploe/webcam/johncamjava.cgi
kdecore (KProtocolManager): ERROR: Protocol  not found
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
kjas: ERROR: could not parse length out of:
kjas: ERROR: could not parse length out of:

BUT, I can not really understand what would be wrong.
It seems that the 'threads' error might be the clue....

Anyone who has a suggestion here?

Btw, I also tried Netscape's Java, but with similar restults.

    - John

--
John van der Ploeg
http://jvdploe.speed.planet.nl/~jvdploe   (direct)

2. Exchanging tapes between Sun Solaris and SGI Irix 5.x

3. java applets and fonts under linux

4. KPresenter crashes opening powerpoint files

5. Why are the fonts unreadable in Netscape Java applets on OpenBSD?

6. Dual processor system - should I optimize RPMS

7. Java applet and Java plug-in

8. Linux on IBM RS/6000

9. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

11. Java Applet Security problems

12. java applet problem in konqueror,freebsd4.7

13. Problem with applet Java