Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

Post by ermirz.. » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

I have edited the file /etc/group on my freshly installed openBSD 2.4
to include the normal user erekose in the wheel group as follows
"wheel:*:0:root,erekose" so that I could issue the "su -l" command to
log to root coz I think it is not wise  to log as root remotely but
then
after supplying even the correct passwd to log to root I got this msg
"BAD SU from erekose to root". Why ???

I am a newbie to openBSD and call for the expert help here :)

Thanks in advance.

Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

Post by ermirz.. » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

may be this is lame but I would like to answer my own posted question
.... since nobody cares to answer .. hehehehe

after aditing the file group in /etc to include the user group  in wheel
then as root just issue "chmod u+s su" [the su command is in /sbin]
and kaboom ... U can su to root from normal user w/o getting BAD SU from
user to root anymore ....

hope this helps .. it does help me ;)

adios

I am using openBSD 2.4

> I have edited the file /etc/group on my freshly installed openBSD 2.4
> to include the normal user erekose in the wheel group as follows
> "wheel:*:0:root,erekose" so that I could issue the "su -l" command to
> log to root coz I think it is not wise  to log as root remotely but
> then
> after supplying even the correct passwd to log to root I got this msg
> "BAD SU from erekose to root". Why ???

> I am a newbie to openBSD and call for the expert help here :)

> Thanks in advance.

1. su to a user then su to root in startup script

My problem is I need to start an Apache server as
root, but with the Oracle Profile.  I've gone as
far as putting all the Oracle variables in the
root profile and it still wont work correctly.
I can start the server correctly if I login as
Oracle and SU to root.
But in the startup script if I SU to Oracle and
then SU to root, it prompts for roots password
and just sits there, never finishing.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. execlp on Solairs 2.5 / 2.6

3. differences between su root and su - root

4. Navigator 4.0 (Communicator Preview Rel 1)

5. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

6. Xconfig for ss24x/Mag MX15f

7. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

8. KDE is unreadable -- funky transparent windows

9. How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

10. logging in slow or su from root to normal user

11. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

12. GNU su (was Re: Preventing SU Root)

13. Cannot su, or su - to anything ~ including root