Serial communication via openbsd?

Post by Dusti » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:34:01

What program do I use to communicate via the serial port in openbsd 2.9?

I would like to hook up my Cisco 678 dsl router's serial management cable to
my openbsd firewall.
What do I use to connect to com1?  (equivalent of windows HyperTerminal)

Sorry if this is silly,
Dustin

Post by Frank da Cr » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:56:45

: What program do I use to communicate via the serial port in openbsd 2.9?
:
There are at least C-Kermit, cu, minicom, probably some others.

: I would like to hook up my Cisco 678 dsl router's serial management
: cable to my openbsd firewall.  What do I use to connect to com1?
:
Usually when people want to connect their workstation to a router's
serial console, they wind up also wanting to automate routine router
management and configurations tasks, which tips the scale towards a
programmable communications program, i.e. C-Kermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

Sample scripts are here:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

- Frank

Serial communication via openbsd?

Post by Dusti » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:00:47

Thank you for your quick responce, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you again!
Dustin

> : What program do I use to communicate via the serial port in openbsd 2.9?
> :
> There are at least C-Kermit, cu, minicom, probably some others.

> : I would like to hook up my Cisco 678 dsl router's serial management
> : cable to my openbsd firewall.  What do I use to connect to com1?
> :
> Usually when people want to connect their workstation to a router's
> serial console, they wind up also wanting to automate routine router
> management and configurations tasks, which tips the scale towards a
> programmable communications program, i.e. C-Kermit:

>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

> Sample scripts are here:

>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

> - Frank

1. Problems with communication via serial port

Hi,

I'm trying to write a C program wich is to communicate with a Z80
mini-computer via serial port. Now, if I use the program with QNX,
everything works fine, but if I'm trying to use it with Linux,
no communication is possible. The data being transfered is useless.
(I've built in checksums) I guess it's because of the port
parameters, but I cannot figure out what to change. I have looked
into the man page and the programming document at
"http://dns.easysw.com/~mike/serial" but it's no use, it does not
work with Linux.
Please help!

Here's my code to set the port parameters:

        struct termios opts;

        if (tcgetattr(hSer,&opts)) {
                close(hSer);
                return -2;
        }
        /* Set I/O speed */
        cfsetispeed(&opts,B4800);
        cfsetospeed(&opts,B4800);

        /* No Parity */
        opts.c_cflag &= ~PARENB;

        /* 8 data bits, 2 stop bits
        opts.c_cflag &= ~CSIZE;
        opts.c_cflag |= CS8;
        opts.c_cflag |= CSTOPB;

        /* raw Input */
        opts.c_lflag &= ~(ICANON | ECHO | ISIG);

        /* no parity check (QNX: ISTRIP strips top bit not parity bit) */
        opts.c_iflag &= ~(INPCK | ISTRIP);

        /* no software flow control */
        opts.c_iflag &= ~(IXON | IXOFF);
        #ifndef linux
        opts.c_iflag &= ~IXANY; /* (IXANY undefined with QNX) */
        #endif

        /* raw output */
        opts.c_oflag &= ~OPOST;

        /* No extentions */
        opts.c_lflag &= ~IEXTEN;

        /* Now, set it */
        if (tcsetattr(hSer,TCSANOW,&opts) != 0) {
                close(hSer);
                return -2;
        }

Thanks,
Klaus

2. install did not auto detect NICs

3. Serial Communication via Modems

4. XFree86 configuration on Compaq Presario 5471

5. communication via serial port

6. Time

7. Serial Port Communications via C Program

8. signal handling, scheduling & Xwindows ?

9. OpenBSD 3.1 console access via serial

10. How to set up serial port when programming serial communication

11. add serial device discovery via ACPI name space and via EFI HCDP

12. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?