syslogd not logging

Post by jason ca » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:24:27

syslogd isn't logging anything except some qmail transactions and some
authlog stuff.  syslogd is running and when syslogd -d is ran, it
doesn't say much except for the auth logs and qmail logs.  i've
replaced the syslogd.conf file...doesn't help.  i made sure the files
all exist.

- does pf have to be setup someway for the syslog udp port?
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
(state)
udp        0      0  *.syslog               *.*

- is this a general syslogd problem or an OpenBSD problem?

- is there a way to test the log so i don't have to force something to
either error or su to root to make sure it works?

- is this a syslogd problem or an individual program not sending logs
to syslogd?

Thanks everybody,

syslogd not logging

Post by DevNul » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:36:44

Jason,

Quote:> - is there a way to test the log so i don't have to force something to
> either error or su to root to make sure it works?

I don't have a direct answer for your problem, but to test youre syslog
deamon/setup you can use the program logger.

Do something like:
        logger "This is the first time I run logger"

Richard.

syslogd not logging

Post by tom » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:25:05

Greets Jason...

When I hear about this, I usually feel the
word breach afterward.  Maybe someone
changed something while you were away?

First, reply back here, and mention what
version OBSD OS your running, and second;

What is the size of your present
syslog.conf file as it is now,
and what is the original's size?

Have you made these comparisions yet?

> syslogd isn't logging anything except some qmail transactions and some
> authlog stuff.  syslogd is running and when syslogd -d is ran, it
> doesn't say much except for the auth logs and qmail logs.  i've
> replaced the syslogd.conf file...doesn't help.  i made sure the files
> all exist.

> - does pf have to be setup someway for the syslog udp port?
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
> (state)
> udp        0      0  *.syslog               *.*

> - is this a general syslogd problem or an OpenBSD problem?

> - is there a way to test the log so i don't have to force something to
> either error or su to root to make sure it works?

> - is this a syslogd problem or an individual program not sending logs
> to syslogd?

> Thanks everybody,

---tm---

Linux Registration Number : 184093, http://counter.li.org

1. syslogd not logging anymore

Kernel 108528-20

For a few days already, I noticed that nothing is being written to /var/adm/messages
And all the rolled over files ( /var/adm/messages.[0-9] ) have a size of zero bytes.
Tried restarting syslog several times ( /etc/init.d/syslog stop; /etc/init.d/syslog start )

I then noticed that there are multiple syslog processes running.
/etc/init.d/syslog/stop does not actually stop syslogd
/etc/init.d/syslog/start starts up a new syslog process.

So I killed all syslogd processes, and started up syslogd again so only 1 is running.
Tried:

        logger -p mail.crit "Test"

... since my /etc/syslog.conf has the following entry:

        *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        /var/adm/messages

... but nothing is written on /var/adm/messages

2. cutting & pasting

3. syslogd not logging problem

4. Bash script

5. syslogd not logging off network

6. Utility to measure link saturation?

7. Syslogd not logging auth.info and auth.notice properly

8. apache 1.3.3 on WinNT w/PERL CGI

9. syslogd not logging from router

10. syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

11. panic not logged by syslogd

12. syslogd and logins not logging

13. syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data